cleaning substrate,

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by magman, 5 Aug 2009.

1. magman

magman

I was thinking of getting one of the siphon vacuum pipes to clean my substrate in the DT, but am more worried about taking more good bacteria out of the tank than detrus. Is it a good idea, or what can I put in to clean the base. I am use crushed coral as the substrate.

Any suggestions?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dogstar

dogstar

Do you have a DSB in addition to just the DT substrate? If you do, then the good bacteria will do their job their and you can vacuum the substrate in the DT.

If you dont have a separate DSB, then i would probably not want to disturb the substrate in the DT too much.

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Magman,

Not sure if i have welcomed you, if not, welcome to MASA

could you post some pics of your system please, do you have any algae issues?

GENERALLY we reccommend replacing crushed coral with a finer substrate like aragonite or playsand, as crushed coral tends to form a detritus trap and then fuels algae growth in your tank

5. magman

magman Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome Neil.

My first tank, I tried with the playsand, live sand etc, and it pissed me off, as it was always being pushed around, was piling up etc. I really did not like it. I also think the crushed coral helps stabilize the ph, also with it being white, it does reflect back a lot more light. I did have a bit of algae appearing about a month ago, but put a convict in for two weeks, and he cleared it up.

I have tried uploading pics, but have a problem with sizes etc. I will try again and see if I have any luck. I do have an amazing rock scaping.

6. Falcon

Falcon

if you have a thin layer of crush coral and vacuum regurlarly then its fine no detritus will be trapped;) but you have to be punctual like once a week or else just go as fine sand as you can.reggies or baby boom playsand will be fine if washed first...

and hey welcome, post some pics of your tank....:)

7. Tony

Tony

I personally don't vacuum my substrate because I don't want to lose all the life in them. I will kick up the substrate with a glass cleaner which will dirty/cloud the water and let the skimmer do the rest. It also feeds the corals. I also blast my rocks off avery few weeks with a powerhead to clean the detritus that build up and to get behind the rocks

8. Sentari

Sentari

Neil does this happen with sugar fine crushed coral also?

9. Neil H

I spose not, but personally i dont see the point of using this substrate, it is less dense than the playsand or aragonite, and would blow around easier, and because it is crushed, the edges would be VERY sharp and would harm bacteria and other gogga's living in the substrate

10. Sentari

Sentari

I dont see it being that sharp. Its actually quiet round and soft. I'll try get some pics for you once i fill my tank so you can see.

11. Neil H

in comparison to naturally rounded material like oolitic aragonige or erroded sand, i assure you that on a microscopic the crushed coral is ver sharp;)

12. Sentari

Sentari

Ya i have seen this. Was also wonding if they would be sand sifter safe?

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Recent Posts