Cleaning RO unit

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by JD167, 17 May 2010.

1. JD167

JD167

Over the last couple of weeks I found my RO unit taking longer and longer to fill my 25L drums. It got to a point where it would take all day just to fill half a 25L drum with RO.

I have one of these Aqua Medic 3 stage units.

[​IMG]

With TDS readings sitting at 30(not good) I decided to try and clean out the membrane. Still no improvement. I then took the first stage off and flushed some water through, clean as a whistle. I then removed the second stage(Carbon). I blew from the one end... blocked. Flushed some water in the direction of the flow and not joy. Flushed in the opposite direction and I was amazed by the amount of crap that came out!! I couldn't believe it! And to think we drink this water!

Anyway, put it all back together and it's working like a brand new unit! Now my TDS is on 8! :thumbup: Moral of the story, check your RO units regularly. And don't drink water, drink :peroni:. :whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. robertkukla

robertkukla

:lol::lol::lol:

4. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

:lol::lol::lol::lol:I like that one:razz:

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

BTW I have the same unit but mine has been slow from day one & I followed those instructions closely. Just a Q your waste out put does it run faster than the ro out?

6. JD167

JD167 Thread Starter

Yea. It runs a lot faster than the clean RO output. How long have you had yours?

7. mandarin

mandarin

About a month ago i also noticed my RO storage tank was filling with a speed, that's all because of dirty filters.The clever guys say that you should rather fit new membrane and filters every 4-6 months and not try and clean them because the material they use inside could damage and it won't work efficiently.( Same as a air or oil filter.)The TDS reading before was 200 when i tested it at our LFS, hard to believe but I replaced everything after 4 months in use and the reading came down to 3. RO units are go slow, i was told for 1ltr RO, 6ltrs go to waste.

8. JD167

JD167 Thread Starter

You are supposed to change them out every 6 to 12 months yea, but I'm trying to make mine last just a little longer. As long as my water is clean and TDS is at an acceptable level, I'm happy. As soon as it gets too dirty again I'll get a new one.

As for the 1 to 6 ratio, I use a normal garden hose for the "dirty" water that goes to my garden. Nothing gets wasted.

9. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

you only have to change filters etc when your RO makes more than 0 tds

10. Manic

Manic Moderator

Agreed. The 6-12 month thing means nothing. Take my RO unit for example, my tank uses around 60L of water a week on auto top up and around 75L a month for water changes. So that equates to around 315L of RO a month. Where as when I was running my nano it was probable only 60L a month. It all depends on how much RO water you make. The more you make, the more you need to replace the filters.

11. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I've had it for just about a year now & mine takes about an hour to fill 25l. LOL I take it you got yours at sam's?

12. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Thanx Guys I really need to get a tds meter

13. Pete

Pete

Guys, quick question for you. How often do you flush your R/O unit? Little tip is to flush your unit atleast once a week for about 20min before you make your R/O, by doing this you prolong your membrains life span should last you two - three years if maintained properly, your prefilters and di-resin should be changed at least every four to six months or when TDS starts to climb. Just my 2C

14. IMarine

IMarine

Hi guys what i got is 4stages a 10micron then a 5 micron then a carban block then my membrain and find i waist 30lts to 20lts good water and i change my micron and carban block every 3 months and find my membrain last 2 years with a tds in the last 18months of 5 what is not bad, but also rinse my canisters of the membrain and micron filters every 3 months and this works very well

Recent Posts