Cleaning Reflectors

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Pugsly, 27 Aug 2009.

1. Pugsly

Pugsly

Hi guys - I have notices that over time my aluminium tube reflectors build up almost like a rusty bits here and there - how can one clean then up again? What can you use for it? Or does one just go buy new ones?

2. Guest

3. FransSny

FransSny

Make a thick paste of baking soda...apply and rub wiyth a damp cloth (old boereraat) ;)

4. OP
    Pugsly

Pugsly

Thanks Frans!!!!:)
    I take it it is the normal "KOEKSODA" is it not abrasive? It won't scratch the reflector will it?:whistling:

5. FransSny

FransSny

Yip normal koeksoda....leave it on for a while first my rust was minimal so i didnt have to scrub, they basically dissolved.

If you scared maybe test on the back of the reflector first...just be careful left to long it will attack alluminum .

i have also heard of using vinigar / lemon juice concentrate or petrolium jelly which has ben left on the rust for 24 hours

O Yes and Coke

Last edited: 27 Aug 2009
  6. OP
    Pugsly

Pugsly

coke is far better to drink that use on that (I am a bit of a coke-a-holic!!!!!:lol:)

Will give it a bash. Mine to is not that bad - spots of it here and there - just thought that while I am busy upgading the lights and installing the T5's I would give them a good clean while the hood is off.

So I will leave the baking soda on for about 20 minutes, have a :peroni: and give it a wipe and good rinse then.

Thabnks again frans

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

wouldent vinegar work? or would it diminish the polished finish?

8. FransSny

FransSny

leslie not sure about vinigar...I was just qouting boererate i was told by mother, aunt, grandma etc

Ive only tried the baking soda

9. OP
    Pugsly

Pugsly

Not sure - going to give the baking soda a try - worked for Frans without any ill affectes!

10. FransSny

FransSny

Pugsly, as i said ...just a word of caution. Bicarb could damage your reflectors shiney surface...20 mins in my opinion is a bit long.

My reflectors are made from 2 mm alluminum (not the store bought stuff),this has a "thicker" layer of reflectiveness , for safety sake just test on the back first....maybe test all the 'boererate" on the back & report back on the effects.

I'm sure we are not the only ones who has this problem.

from my days in the steel game i was told by a guy who was a sales manager for a non ferrous metals co, the reason why this happens is when you drill, scratch, sand etc stuff like alluminium & stainles with something that has been in contact with ferrous metals (steel) microscopic pieces are embedded which then starts to rust and transfers the rust to the other parts. I do believe this ...go look at your allu sliding ddor where the screws sit normally there's some rust, this is due to the fact that the hole was drilled with a ferrous metal bit.

My 2C....just test before hand, dont want you to come break my looonngggg lights ;)

11. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

FransSny excellent advice, i will surely try the baking soda...

12. OP
    Pugsly

Pugsly

thanks frans - will give it a try and leave it on maybe 5 min and wipe then on the back to start with. Will give vinigar a try on the back too and report back on monday.

13. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

FransSny...Excellent advice, i tried and it worked like a bomb...shot boet...:thumbup:

14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Oh well if you cleaned your reflectors regularly like you would your new Harley Davidson this question would not rack our brains.:whistling::razz:

15. OP
    Pugsly

Pugsly

full of confidence hey NEMOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It takes 3 people to help me lift and remove my hood off my tank to that I can clean then which is done monthly! - and yes they are cleaned regulary, and yes it does still happen! ass

16. FransSny

FransSny

Glad it worked

17. OP
    Pugsly

Pugsly

yes it works like a bomb frans!!! You are a star!

Recent Posts