Cleaning a Skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by chas84, 13 Mar 2011.

1. chas84

chas84

Hi everyone, I notice during the last week or so my skimmer (Aqua Excel with Hailea pump) stops making bubbles. First thing that came to mind was saltscreep maybe blocking the silencer, so I took it off and still no bubbles. I removed the airline tubing and blew into it to clear. Made bubble for a few days then stopped again.

I'm thinking I should take the skimmer out today and give it a decent clean, just want to check if any of you have had a similar thing happen and what's the best solution?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. alarkins

alarkins

Hasn't happened to me at all. A good clean with vinegar would work but then the build up could depend on how long the unit has been used. If you do this, make sure you rinse very well before putting back into the system

4. durleo

durleo

check the shaft of the impellor - if it is broken the impellor wont spin straight and damage the housing of the stator. I am guessing that it is that or there is something blocking the inlet ( maybe a hermit or snail)

5. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

let it soak in some vinegar for about an hour take the impellor out check that all is good and rinse off with RO water and replace back and see what happens

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

possible that a fish or snail is stuck in the pump. Do you have a comb on your overflow? This happened to another guy and there was a fish in the pump

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

check you skimmer pump inlet. Something might be in there. Mine got blocked with small pieces of cheato.
    Water do still flow, but the flow is not strong enough to pull the air down.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2011
  8. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

So I managed to get it sorted out over the weekend - the air inlet seemed to be blocked with I don't know what... Now my return pump is tripping the electricity :eek:

9. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

eish,you having some bad luck, hope you find the problem. check for Kinks in the cable maybe try another plug

10. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

Yip - hehe. I'm about to put another return pump in, but now I need to play plumber plumber to get the pipes to fit :)

Recent Posts