cleaner wrasse or cleaner shrimps ?

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by toppdogg, 1 Dec 2009.

1. toppdogg

toppdogg

hey all i am thinking of putting in wrasse or cleaner shrimps what are the genral thoughts as to what is the better to put in in case of white spot ect
    thoughts ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ronaldgv

ronaldgv

Are any of your fish infected with white spot? (I guess we are talking about the same thing, marine ick, right?

4. crispin

crispin

of the two there is little thought in my humble opinion and thats to go for shrimps. Regretably cleaner wrasses have a poor survival rate and shrimps add a great diversity while supplying the same need.

i would however point out that putting either into a tank to controll ich isnt a good idea, its better to quarenteen and isloate white spot than to try in tank predator controll such as wrasses and shrimps.

but go with two or three shrimps, great additions to any tank and the added bonus of spawning is great free coral food:)

5. Yuri

Yuri

all my fish like the wrasse more than the shrinps
    I have 1 cleaner wrasse and 2 cleaner shrimps
    Only one of my fish go to the shrimps

6. FransSny

FransSny

With Crispin on this one, rather go for shrimps, wrasses have a dismal survival rate

7. Annoying

Annoying

The only problem with the wrasse is it's hard to feed it, but the wrasse works much better then a shrimp. The wrasse goes and search for the fish and clean them in the tank but the shrimp just stands on a rock and waits for the fish to come to him. If you want to get a wrasse ask the lfs to feed the tank and see if it eats, if it eats it would most likely survive.

8. Pugsly

Pugsly

i prefer shrimps and going with crispin on this one - they will in turn feed the corals

9. maj

maj

what do the cleaner wrasse eat?do they only live off parasites form other fish?

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi guys - buying a cleaner wrasse is REALLY a "hit-and-run" affair.

You NEVER really know if you are going to get a cleaner wrasse that will adapt to tank life.
    98% of all cleaner wrasses that are imported, die....

The 2% that stays alive, are the one's that adapt to tank life - are the one's that also learns to eat other food.

I would say - either IF you can get one that has been in the LFS's tank for at least a month or longer, then by all means - go for this individual cleaner wrasse - otherwise. PLEASE PLEASE DON'T BUY ONE which has JUST ARRIVED (imported). MOST of them just dies.

11. dv8

dv8

if i may guess, is this for the new fish in your tank? powder blue and powder brown may get white spot in the begining when first introduced to the tank. but back to the point,i have both in my tank, schrimp and wrasse. IMHO i would say the schrimp, i think they are more gentle on the fish, and i think they do a better cleaning job. i've found that some fish get irretated/hurt by the pecking sort of cleanig of the wrasse, having said that i have heard of baby wrasse from T K being better for the job. if you are woried about your fish, i'd go for the schrimp. more than one would be better but obveous money is a factor.

12. Jaak

Jaak

I'm with Crispin & jacquesb on this. Stick with the shrimps.

13. maj

maj

who all has these cleaner wrasse in ther DT,and how long have they survived?
    whats ther main diet?

Dv8,hows the wrasse in ur tank?

14. Jinx

Jinx

Shirmp, leave the wrasses in the sea

15. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i dont see shrimps as adding a load on the system but more as a filtration tool and a food producer, so far more beneficial than a cleaner wrasse per say, but if you enjoy the wrasse idea and are up for a challenge then a cleaner wrasse is the way to go.. either way i'd never run a system without a shrimp species of some kind as they offer a different curiosity factor

16. crispin

crispin

i also think that cleaner shrimps are one of the nicer looking and more docile of the shrimps adding alot of intrest to the rock work, while a cleaner wrasse isnt a spectacula fish to look at, there are better fish to choose, so asthetically i think that shrimps are a better idea too. Also ALOT easier to feed.

but i stress again, rather quarenteen for ich controll dont do predator in DT controll

17. dv8

dv8

yoh, i've had mine for years, must be 4 years i think, very friendly, and mine eats whatever i feed the fish, i think she especially likes brine schrimp. whenever i put my hand in the tank be it for feading ,scaping ,cleaning glass or whatever, there she is. pecking /cleaning my hand. she is so tame and i think they look awesome too - an awesome addition to my tank. i still say though, for cleaning fish i'd go for the shrimp

18. maj

maj

Cool Dv8,so i guess its just luck of the draw with these wrasse.
    in conclusion,get the shrimp!!

19. pumpkin

pumpkin

I would say it depends on the purpose they serve in the tank. or even better, get both

20. dv8

dv8

couldn't have said it better my self pumpkin

21. crispin

crispin

`hello pumpkin, welcome to masa:)
    why not start a thread in the beginners forum and introduce yourselves to us and give us some history into your experiences with marines?

Recent Posts