cleaner wrasse not eating

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Dane fisher, 24 Mar 2013.

1. Dane fisher

Dane fisher

Hi i have just recieved my cleaner wrasse, and have found that he doesnt want to eat..... i give my fish brine shrimp, blood worm, flakes and homemade food. Im not quite sure what type of food cleaner wasse eat, as they eat parisites off the fish in nature?

need some help urgently!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Cleaner wrasse shouldnt be removed from the ocean to start with, necermind be sold by petstores... Unless you have a tank with lots of large fish, it will most likely not survive.
    I also stepped into the trap of buying one wgen i first started out, but soon realised its a very daunting task to try keep them alive...
    The only thing i had success with was feeding them red frozen plancton from ocean nutrition, but eventually he faded away...
    Call the petstore & find out if they will exchange it for another fish.

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i dont necesarily agree with Visser

i have had many cleaner wrasse eat no problem in the past but there are always some (and this happens with almost every specie of fish be it moorish, leaf wrasse, file fish, angels etc) that you get one that will not eat.

one of the problems is poor handling from origional capture and then ailing water parameters. and sometimes its just stress, not all fish cope with handling and travel the same...

even locally caught fish will sometimes refuse to eat and their journey from capture to tank is the shortest..

it does just happen like that sometimes...

my suggestion is frequent feedings of live brineshrimp, ocean nutrition lobster eggs and then finally introducing it to flakes and pellets..

i was given a cleaner wrasse about 3 months ago and poped him in without even forgetting him.. fed normally and he is thriving...

5. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

My cleaner wrasse is 2 and a half years old and he is doing fine. but you need to get him to eat everything to do so. It requires a lot of patience and a lot of feeding which might not be the best thing for the tank. But regular water changes will help. Start with some Omega First Flake as well as some frozen foods soaked in garlic guard. I also had a little feeding ring floating where I put the food in so it gently dropped to the bottom of the tank. Here is a pic. After a few days I had a wrasse eating everything.but i couldve been lucky.It now eats mysis, pellets ,krill to flakes. everything I feed my tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It might not work and unfortunately they dont have the best of success rates in an aquarium.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2013
  6. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Lol, you lucky fish!
    I have to agree that it is possible, but i personally prefer not to buy fish anymore that i know might have difficulty eating. I even managed to keep a green mandarin fat & healthy in a nano for 2years before it commited suicide... But it still remains a daunting task getting them to eat!
    Im not saying it cant be done, im just saying i wouldnt recommend it for someone new to marines to attempt getting it to eat.

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I have had my cleaner for over two years, got a second one three months back and the two paired up. My second one died to disease along with twelve other fish, but my old one is still going strong! I think the secret to them is a varied diet, mine even eats nori.

8. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Local cleaners are very hardy if you catch them at the right size. Between 3 and 5cm is best. I've never had one that hasn't fed within 2 days. Most take flake almost immediately and grow pretty rapidly.

9. Nur

Nur Starz

I cant stop my Cleaner wrasse from eating. he eats any and everything even steals nori from my tangs mouths while they eating. He eats frozen anything, pellets and flakes he even pecks on rocks. Psycho, its the luck of the draw i guess but i mke sure all my fish are eating before i leave the store with them. I have had my cleaner wrasse and Longnose hawk for alsmost two and half years with no issue.

Dangle a peice of fresh fish or de shelled prawn infromnt of him check if he is interested. If he is, ween him over to accept other foods like frozen and then pellets.

Recent Posts