Cleaner wrasse food

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Stressed Eric, 3 Aug 2009.

1. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

Ok, i'm going to risk getting flamed by the tree huggers here, but I'm really keen on getting a cleaner wrasse when my tank's ready. Now i understand they don't do well in our tanks because their nature and genetic makeup is to clean parasites off other fish and the typical food we feed just doesn't cut it somehow. Is there a cultivatable parasite that can safely be introduced to our systems, and one that can be controlled enough to maintain a wrasse yet not harm the rest of the ecosystem and the fish that will play host ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Had mine for over a year now and it eats all dry,frozen and live foods. Just try a variety at first to see what food will be taken.

4. magman

magman

they fine, they eat anything, I caught and given plenty of them away and never had a problem with one eating, you can only have one though in a tank cause the bigger will end up klapping the other. They are one of the best charecters and tamest fish in the tank.

5. Yuri

Yuri

my cleaner wrasse is all ways eating nori with the tangs and foxface he loves it
    At one stage he even use to clean me when i put my hand in the tank

6. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

Yes mine to he is eating with the tangs and other fish when ever I put my hand in the tank he is clean's it. Very cool!!!!

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Mark - locally caught cleaner wrasses definitely seems to be much stronger and hardy, than the one's we receive in shipments, when imported. The imported one's have a REALLY dismal survival rate, and I would want you to waste you money, and go through the trauma, of losing a cleaner wrasse that you bought, that was imported.

If you really want one so badly, then go visit KZN, and ask one fellow reefer that's living there, to help you catch one.....

REMEMBER THE PROPER PERMITS THOUGH!

8. Achilles

Achilles

there are much better cleaners than a cleaner wrasse, often they annoy certain fish soo much because the fish would vist them only a short time on the reef and then leave in an aquarium it is being liked locked in a hospital with a syringe happy nurse poking you every 10 minutes.

A neon/cleaner goby or cleaner shrimp do just as good a job as a cleaner wrasse and dont pester fish nearly as much never keep a cleaner wrasse with fish such as puffers, boxfish or stingrays they end up pestering them almost to death

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey magman how you doing dude - Next time you wanna introduce more than 1 cleaner do it exactly the same time I've heard from plenty of Durban nites this very possible - doesn't matter about size but any cleaner wrasse introduced to a tank after another ones been there is seen as a threat to the first one's food source in such a limited space so the original inhabitant will definately kill off the newer one but the guys have successfully kept more than one together - just introduce them together - problem solved!

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

I have a local cleaner wrasse which I caught some years back. It will be hitting the 3 year mark very soon, and it takes everything that I chuck in. He was about a centimeter when I caught him and he is now about 5-6cm in size.

11. magman

magman

Howzit Chikaboo, I have tried several times, the longest I have gone is about a month before they start fighting, and this is with fish the same size, even the small ones. there is always one that becomes more dominant.

The one I have now is a real charecter in the tank, and the best one I ever caught, about medium size.

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

And what size tank you putting them in? Also how many other fish in there coz the general consensus on these buggers are they start to fight when there's not enough "work" to go around! They are real busy bodies and can reach a point of irritation with the other inmates if they cant get enough parasites to eat! But sure enough try to get them eating of other foodies they will be happy or sump him and starve him one or two days they will be forced to eat prepared foods!

13. magman

magman

My DT is 670lts, so plenty of room. They eat everything I have put in, except nori and flakes. I have found that the best relationship that they have is with the goldies, the goldies go to them and enter a trance, they float around almost paralysed while the cleaner cleans them.

I have not had a problem with any eating

Recent Posts