Cleaner shrimps in the wild

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by LuckyFish, 9 Oct 2011.

1. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

To all divers.

I'm looking for some information about the cleaner shrimp, Lysmata ambionensis.
    Where are they living in the sea? How many individuals are the norm? As pairs or a groups?
    Pictures would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Marcel

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

4. Dane

Dane

5. Dane

Dane

6. LuckyFish

LuckyFish Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thanks guys and girls, but I know all that.
    The reason why I'm asking is, I always wanted to set up a tank with cleaning station for the fish.
    Creating a rock feature with a tall crack/cave, where I could house one or two dozen of cleaner shrimps.
    That's why I posted this here as there should be some divers around who know how they really live in the sea.

7. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

documentaries has shown that cleaners shrimp in the wild has exact same characteristics in captivity, any rock structure will work, they are flexible creatures who focus mainly on there duty of cleaning,if fish don't approach them,they come out of caves in search of fish....

Documentaries are : Ocean adventures
    Coral wonderland
    Great barrier reef exposed

Also if u google it, u get some informative information,and discovery from time to time plays some awesome documentaries on marine life

Goodluck in finding what you looking for

8. LuckyFish

LuckyFish Thread Starter MASA Contributor

So I really should get DSTV

9. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

Most definately .... Also hit up @Meneer ,he hooked me up with some IMAX documentaries a while back,awesome 3D stuff I tell ya .... Maybe he can post u a link

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. magman

magman

Marcel, to try and answer your question, in smallish groups, average 3-5, and defintly not shallow, never above 7-8ms, always hanging upside down, in caves or under ledges.

11. mandarinman

mandarinman

12. Achilles

Achilles

Marcel i can give you info they usually are found in pairs where the common cleaner shrimp is concerned, they can coexist in groups but they will have defined territories, they need caves from which they display the white antennae this and the way they move them signal they are cleaners.

the cave should be secure then they are more likley to feel secure, they are vulnerable when they molt , my clown trigger often visited the cleaning stations, they will often remain in the caves during the day and by night they go out and explore the reef at this time they still clean fish but the location is more out in the open.

I have witnessed the same behaviour in the wild, in caves in Mauritius and had a pair try cleaning my ears while i was diving

They need the cave as if they were out in the open when they molt they dont have the long white antennae that signal they cleaners and they are more vulnerable to predation, they should also only be added to the tank in the evening.I once witnessed my Clown trigger eat one just after it had molted and then go to another for a clean so the antennae and their signals are vital if you have any predatory fish.

I have 15 in my tank at present, they have as i mentioned defined cave territories and usually pair up or are solitary , i have witnessed 3 or more on an overhang in the aquarium at lights out take turns cleaning my large French angel.So perhaps at nigth time they arent as territorial and group more.

In the wild i have also seen smaller species of cleaner shrimps but not the common cleaner living in groups in Moray eel lairs

The scarlet shrimp is not nearly as good a cleaner as the common cleaner shrimp and hides most of the time, In fact even peppermint shrimps can act as cleaners but they dont have as great a desire to do so but i have seen a peppermint cleaning my bandit before.hope this helps ;)

On the point of cleaners, i was fortunate on my last dive in April in the red sea to experience a cleaner fish which was so used to Divers, that the dive master called it over like a dog he then asked me to remove my demand valve and open my mouth , i did this and the fish entered my mouth for about 10 secs to clean, it was quite incredible of course i could have shut my mouth at any time but the cleaner was very trusting that i wouldnt , and exited my mouth as i put the DV back.

Last edited: 9 Oct 2011
  13. mandarinman

mandarinman

Dang it must have been ticklish as anything!

Recent Posts