Cleaner shrimp

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Landu, 13 Oct 2011.

1. Landu

Landu

Hi all, as you probably know i have some WS to be eradicated, so looking to get a 2nd cleaner shrimp seeing first one is getting a little over crowded...asap and pref in westrand randburg area....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i am not sure a second cleaner would help much, but rather look at what is the cause and looking at microbelift artemiss and herbtana

4. Xereo

Xereo

Cleaner shrimp wont help for the white spot...
    As the white spots you see is damaged tissue on the fish, not the actual parasite itself...

Best of luck

5. Big Blue

Big Blue

In my view and from what I've observed.....The Cleaner Shrimp works wanders in bringing much need relief to the fish.....He might not be the cure to WS, but hell what is he picking of them when they visits him time after time during a parasite break out.....is he scraching there backs?????:tt2:

6. Xereo

Xereo

@Big Blue please Refrain from giving wrong advice.

Cleaner shrimps will feed on debris left over by the fish but it will not kill or eat the parasites. However, there are many different ways to stop the infestations of the ich. Once Cryptocaryon irritans called marine ich is on the fish, treatments is necessary, heating the water will only speed up the life cycle of the ich which can be dangerous if not monitored properly. When the marine ich lifecycle speeds up, the can multiply numerous times over which can be potentially dangerous and fatal to the fish.

There are methods of treatment however, using chemical remedies are risky due to the fact that it can kill the fish and cause problems in the tank. The best time to treat the fish with these remedies is usually at night when the ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) falls off the fish to find new hosts. Or when you see no signs of the ich buried in the fishes skin or on the fishes skin. Just because there is no sign of the ich, that doesn't mean it isn't present in the water.

A safer method is to use hyposalinity. Reducing the salinity down to 1.010 -1.009 would be a safer method. However, if you have invertebrates and live rocks and corals in the tank, you must remove the fish from the tank and put them in a Quarantine tank, this also includes using chemicals, because this will definitely kill your invertebrates and live rocks and corals.

They say UV Sterilizer is effective, but it is not that efficient. UV sterilizer only kills off the free floating ich, not the ones on the fish, therefore, whatever ich is on the fish, has the opportunity to reproduce and start the cycle of marine ich all over again. So it depends on how much the UV Sterilizer picks up to determine the effectiveness.

Using Garlic enriched flakes or food. Through my experiences, this helps a lot. The reason for this is because the Garlic boosts the immune system of the fish and helps them fight off these parasitic diseases. However, it is not the same case with everyone, so it's a chance to take when you do or if you do purchase these things.

Freshwater dips, can be more stressful to the fish, however, the theory is that the freshwater is known to make the marine ich explode. However, you are also adding stress to the fish, which it won't make sense because there could also be free floating ich in your tank, and if you put anymore stress on the fish, the fish will eventually get ich all over again.

You will need to know that there is possibly different strains of ich. As I have witnessed, that there are ich that are immune to hyposalinity, and some chemicals used. It's very important to know how to treat these parasites. If you have one of these rare strains of ich that cannot be cured, you must use a quarantine tank, by doing so, all the free floating strains that are in your display tank in over time will eventually die off, due to the fact that they need hosts (fish) to survive, without the hosts, they'll die and this treatment is usually recommended for 30 days or more.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Braco

Braco

Thanks Xereo very informative and great info to know..appreciated;)

8. Xereo

Xereo

Pleasure

9. Landu

Landu Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info, i have started treating the tank with herbtana and also got some myxazin to treat quarintine tank... everything is looking much better.
    Should have stated that i want the cleaner not as cure but rather an extra help in the everyday maintenance of my 10 fish, as the 1 i have is always busy with the Sailfin tang or green wrasse...

10. raflo

raflo

sterlig in roodepoort have got plenty of cleaners

11. jacoc

jacoc

Sorry to intervene but why would you attack like this?...and then post a similar post..
    big blue only gave a bit of her experience and it seems you doing exactly the same except you added some hearsay advice by the sound of your tread..
    The fact is that cleaner shrimp and wrasse’s in nature clean and comfort fish whether ill or healthy...w/s is a open debate and no one for sure has the remedy ...we all have different experiences and opinions on this and by posting them here in the end can help other reefers too choose what route they want to follow...as you clearly stated that everything don’t always work for every one...
    In the end in my opinion ws is like cancer and all fish has it...it’s how stable environment we create in the system that determines the wellbeing of the fish...the sooner we notice there is something wrong and start treatments whether chemical or immune boosters the better the chances of the fish survival and wellbeing..And by catching the fish and back and forth in to qt and different buckets is placing even more stress on them...natural remedies should take preference before anything else...
    And also there is meds that can be used in a full blown mixed reef without killing live stock ...and this has been proven and I do have the T-shirt to....
    So please refrain yourself from attacking a fellow reefer for posting their experiences and rather debate or post your own...her advice was just that “advice” and not bad at all...

And just where in the ocean have you ever seen fish eating garlic why will it work for one but might not for another?...
    fish are coldblooded and there for need natural foods they get in the ocean for immune building...some mixture of fish liver oil and plants sounds more like a immune booster to me..

12. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

13. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Guys, guys

No need for all the aggression. Whitespot is a very pasionate and contentious issue.(all reefers are pasionate about their hobby) Everybody believes in their own way of dealing with the parasite and if it works for them great. If it does not, they loose some fish(sadly).

I learnt the hard way myself. To date my tank is ich free and i have had my fish under some of the most stressful conditions!!!

Myxazin is great for bacterial infections, eg finrot. Not so great for ws. Try get a qt tank and treat the beasties with paracure/cupramine/ hyposalinity. Keep your tank fallow for 30days min so that the parasitic lifecycle can be broken

Hope this helps!

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

15. Falcon

Falcon

16. Xereo

Xereo

It said everything i needed to say.. So yah why retype in my own words :)
    What can i say im lazy.. Guess thats why my Spelling and English Sucks :tt2:

17. Landu

Landu Thread Starter

Got a cleaner, but seems like my current big cleaner didn't want a partner so back to one cleaner....The WS is gone and all the fish super fat and healthy again:)

18. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

the post was written based on the writers own experience with whitespot.

19. Xereo

Xereo

As i said. when i read it , it was basicly my Experience also. so why retype it?
    Anyway moving along

20. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

21. Falcon

Falcon

Nothing wrong with quoting somebody else's words,just remember give them credit for it.A simple "Taken from yahoo answers" or "I read this somewhere and think it sums it up pretty well" would be what any honest person would do.

Instead you plagiarized somebody else's work verbatim and tried to make it seem like you wrote it.Not cool bud. ;)

This dude should seriously be part of some intelligence agency lol...tracking people down on the interwebz seems to be his kinda thing :p

And remember 459b is watching you!!:whistling:

Last edited: 18 Oct 2011
Recent Posts