Cleaner Shrimp

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by racerchic, 19 Aug 2010.

1. racerchic

racerchic

Hi

1)I have had my tank running for about 8 months. I have noticed recently that my 2 cleaner shrimp have become fairly agressive towards some of the fish. Is it normal for them to become agressive as they get bigger?

2) have been using seachem paraguard for the last 3 days as it was recomended to me to treat white spot. I noticed today that my star fish had died and I am wondering if the paraguard could have had anything to do with it?

thanks

TL550
    120L
    NANO

Last edited: 19 Aug 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

4. bryan

bryan Sponsor

BROADACRES SHOPPING CENTRE, Fourways, Sandton, JHB
    Hi

As there would be so many considerations one needs to take into account for the starfish that died and shrimps irritated in the water ... the best place to start would be that Seachem Paraguard (brilliant product) but not so safe when treating a tank that contains invertebrates and corals.

Below is the Q&A from Seachem:
    Q: Is ParaGuard™ safe for use in marine reef tanks with invertebrates and soft corals?
    A: We do not sell or market ParaGuard as invert safe because it would be impossible to test it with every available invert under every potential water parameter. We have had people use it with invertabrates with no problems, but we have also had people encounter problems. If you decide to use it we stress caution; dose at 1/4 to 1/2 dose and observe how your inverts and soft corals react. If they seem to tolerate the dosing, increase slowly up to no more than the prescribed dose as long as they are tolerating it. If you need to get rid of the ParaGuard™ quickly, just turn your skimmer back on.

Q: I was wondering if there was copper in Paraguard. I have a few hermit crabs in the tank, that I would prefer not to kill, and removing the affected fish is not an option in this case.
    A: no, there is no copper in ParaGuard

Recent Posts