cleaner shrimp

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by werner5, 17 Jun 2009.

1. werner5

werner5

hey my cleaner shrimp has eggs i am thinking of trying to raise some of them for is it even possible and if it is possible what do i need and what should i do any info please and thanx in advance

Last edited: 17 Jun 2009
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

I know you will need to move the shrimp to a smaller tank with a sponge filter so the eggs aren't sucked up. As far as food goes the fry will need microscopic food like rotifers as a first food. I don't knwo if the parents will eat the babies but I assume so, so the mother will have to be removed after they hatch. How long this takes I don't know

4. werner5

werner5 Thread Starter

thanx tony what is rotifers

5. Tony

Tony

They are microscopic goggas. Google the word and you will get e better explanation and perhaps a pic

werner5 likes this.
  6. werner5

werner5 Thread Starter

ok will do so thanx

7. Manic

Manic Moderator

Cleaner shrimp don't need rotifers to surive. They can easily feed on newly hatched brine shrimp. The only thing is you need to feed the brine shrimp before you feed the baby shrimp. You can feed the brine shrimp with algae waffers or cyclop-eeze. After you feed the brine shrimp you need to feed them to the baby shrimp within 6 hours or they wont have any nutritional value for the baby cleaner shrimp. The mother will drop her larvae into the water column after exactly two weeks from you seeing the green eggs. The day the eggs turn a silver colour and the mother shrimp doesn't want to eat, that is the day the eggs will be released. So what you need to do is turn all your pumps off about 30mins before the lights go out at night. The larvae should be released between 30 mins before the lights go out and 30 mins after they go out. You dont need to remove the shrimps from your system because imo the shrimps will just get stressed out. To remove the larvae from your display tank you can just shine a torch on the surface of the water. The larvae will be attracted to this light and should gather on the surface. You can then use a soup laddle to remove the lavae from your tank. Don't use a net as the larvae will get hurt by the net.

As for the tank to raise the shrimp: Try use a tank with no corners (Like a gold fish bowl) otherwise the larvae will get stuck in the corners and die. The smaller the tank the better because then when you feed the shrimp there will be a higher food concentration because baby shrimp can only swim twice their body length in persuit of food. You can use an air pump without an airstone for water movement in the tank. An airstone will just force the larvae to the surface and kill them. Set the bubble rate coming out the airpump at a rate of about 3-4 bubbles per second. You also need to do about a 20% water change in this tank each day because of the high amount that you will be feeding. (You need to feed the larvae every 6 hours) Use the water from your display tank to prevent any drastic changes in water chemistry.

After about two weeks the baby shrimp should accept crushed flaked food and cyclop-eeze.

If the shrimp make it to about the 80th day you should then have moved them to a bigger tank (Corners are fine now) and you also need to place a small piece of live rock that is totally covered in coraline algae in their tank. Apparantly the corraline algae has some chemical in it that allows the shrimp to shed into their final stage and become proper shrimp (Still only about 10mm at this stage though) without the coraline algae they will attempt to shed and will just die.

When the shrimp become big enough I'm sure you can start introducing really weak pumps for water flow and filtration.

Hope this helps.

viper357 likes this.
  8. werner5

werner5 Thread Starter

yap that helps alot thanx manic answered all my questions thanx alot :)

9. Tony

Tony

There you go. Newly hatched brine shrimp are easier to do than rotifers.

10. werner5

werner5 Thread Starter

much easier :peroni:

11. inflames

inflames

Hi Werner,

Keep me posted on the progress of this! If you manage to get this right I'll be willing to let you give me a few Cleaner Shrimps for my Tank!!!;):lol::razz:!!!

12. werner5

werner5 Thread Starter

haha ok will let you know on this i realy hope that i can get this right and hopefully raise a few cleaners that will be very nice

13. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

Is there anything else u could feed the cleaner shrimps to keep them alive until they age enought to feed on flakes?, sorry for the hijack also intrested

14. Manic

Manic Moderator

You can pretty much feed them any live food that you would find in the sea. The biggest food they can eat though is newly hatched brine shrimp. Its not really important what you feed the cleaner shrimps but rather what you feed the live food. The live food has no nutritional value weither it be rotifers or brine shrimp. So it is important that you feed the live food prior to them being feed to the cleaner shrimp. So essentially you are just feeding the cleaner shrimp the food that you originally feed the live food. You have to do it in this way because cleaner shrimp larvae will not eat food that is not alive and swimming. Once they get used to eating non-live food then you can just cut out the middle step and feed the cleaner shrimp the food that you were feeding the brine shrimp.

You don't have to enrich the baby brine shrimp prior to them being feed to the cleaner shrimp. This is only if you are able to feed the cleaner shrimp with the brine shrimp within about 2 hours of the brine shrimp hatching. This is because the brine shrimp will not have used up its egg sack and will still contain some nutritional value for the cleaner shrimps.

15. inflames

inflames

Cool dude! I think the most satisfying thing of keeping a marine tank is to get something to bread successfully and get allot of little things out of 1!!!:thumbup:

Kepp us posted on the progress!

16. werner5

werner5 Thread Starter

haha i will become masa permanent supply of cleaner shrimp ;)

17. Manic

Manic Moderator

If you get it right that will be really cool. I've read up on it a lot. My shrimps released their larvae into my tank about three days ago. They were both pregnant. The day after releasing their larvae, they were both pregnant again. So in about two weeks I should have larvae again. I'm also gonna try and raise them, just wasn't ready this time.

Apparently a lot of people can get the baby shrimps to about 80 days old. Its that last shed when they morph into their final stage that is the hardest. This is when most people fail and all their shrimp die. According to a few sources the key is coraline algae.

The more basic setups seem to do better as well. In the begining smaller is better.

18. werner5

werner5 Thread Starter

if you come acros a great link for info please post it here

19. Manic

Manic Moderator

Alright sure. I've got a lot of links. Just need to find them in my bookmarks, will post them now.

20. Manic

Manic Moderator

Here's the only one I can find at the moment:

Reefs UK - Breeding Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata ambionenesis)

There isn't that many articles on the net about breeding cleaner shrimp but there is plenty on peppermint shrimp (They are way easier to breed because the time is takes to reach adulthood from larvae is about a quarter of that of cleaner shrimp). So just read the ones about peppermint shrimp. The feeding and housing requirements are almost the same. Only difference really is the growth rate.

21. werner5

werner5 Thread Starter

thanx alot manic

Recent Posts