cleaner shrimp with trigger??

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by WAYNE HEATHCOTE, 11 Jun 2009.

1. WAYNE HEATHCOTE

WAYNE HEATHCOTE CHOPPY

i have been told that i will be able to ad a cleaner shrimp to my tank that has a very cheeky trigger from what ive researched i seem to think that it will only end up as a snack for the trigger .the other option is maybe a claeaner wrasse but i hear that they dont have a long survival rate . the reason why im asking is because my emperor seems to have a few parasites (not ich or black spot ) he doesnt rub against rocks all that much anymore but it just looks a bit unsightly. getting some cleaner would just make them a bit happier and monimize an ich outbreak but the problem is my trigger,,ive been told that it is possible to keep the two together but i have my doubts please advise me on other options thanx[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Wayne. Looks like you going to have to take a bit of a chance here. I kept B oxing Shrimps with my Clown Trigger and he never hasseld them. I would sugggest, after acclimatizing the shrimps, use your hands or net and allow them to get underneath the rockwork. If you going to place them in from the top, the Trigger migt just think it is feeding time. But once again it is a chance bud.

4. WAYNE HEATHCOTE

WAYNE HEATHCOTE Thread Starter CHOPPY

claener shrimp with trigger

what is the average size availible for cleaner shrimps and where is a good supplier in the cape??

5. crispin

crispin

wayne how much reef structure do u have in the tank? can we have a FTS?

6. WAYNE HEATHCOTE

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hard to tell from the pics. What are the dimensions of the tank?

8. Achilles

Achilles

Hi Wayne, i know that tank outside fushi in plett , anyway you could keep a cleaner shrimp with those fish , if you put it in at night when the tanks lights are off but it might still be vulnerable to the trigger when it molts.

But here is the thing no cleaner That is shrimp,wrasse or goby is able to cure or actually eats whitespot they eat larger parasites which are rarer in the aquarium but whitespot has not been found in their stomach contents, that said they do calm the fish and remove dead tissue ,scales and flukes.

When i saw this tank last december it was fish only and this makes it very easy to kill whitespot, by simply lowering your salinity to 1.015 and you can take it down even lower to 1.010 for 2 months this should get rid of most parasites in the tank, the live rock would be killed by the low salinity so id only add it after the 2months as would the cleaner shrimp as they are sensitive to salinity that is why it kills all the invertebrates but not the fish they can take low salinity for extended periods especially the ones you have.Try have a refractometer if you do this hydrometers are not very accurate for this treatment.

Some things about low salinity you must ensure ph remains between 8-8.3 and you want your alkalinity to be around 8- 10dkh for the 2 months you need to test these often while doing hyposalinity and add buffer when they start to drop

On to the choice of cleaners : The cleaner wrasse is not a good option for your tank , even if it does eat which they often dont, it will pester those fish way too much it is like locking them in with a maniac doctor who when he cant find what ails you might just scrape of some flesh because he is hungry, that is why on a reef ,fish can choose to visit cleaners and leave when they want, the cleaner wrasse is an obligate cleaner it has to clean and so it only does well in huge tanks with lots of fish and even then it pesters puffers and triggers alot.

The cleaner shrimp, is a good option in your tank , the picasso trigger might view him as food but not if he gets put in at night when trigger is sleeping in the rocks, however there is a chance that the trigger may eat him if he wanders around to much or just after a molt, your salinity must be over 1.023 and under 1.026 if you decide to keep the shrimp, i have 8 cleaners shrimp with a huge clowntrigger and often he goes to them for cleaning but i have seen him eat 2 before but most of the time he ignores them and regards them as cleaners, Cleaner shrimp wont pester the fish like the wrasse as they eat other food besides parasites and will usually only clean the fish when the fish comes to them for cleaning.

Another very good option for your Aquarium is the neon cleaner goby from the carribean it is a fish so it can take low salinity unlike the shrimp and it wont pester your fish either but it will clean them after it sets up its cleaning station, they are small and you could keep 2-3 in your aquarium , these are the best choice for your aquarium read up on them. Sam's aquarium in Cape Town regularly gets them in when they get american shimpments and they are similar colouring to the wrasse to signify they are cleaners again introduce them at night when the fish are sleeping so they dont get mistaken for live food due to their small size and them being unsure of their surroundings, once they acclimatise to the aquarium the fish will see them as cleaners and allow themselves to be cleaned.

hope this info helps, i see this tank every december due to my plett vacations every year

9. clown

clown

HI ,

You can also try AquaConceps in Paarden Eiland - They are good and sell good quality Marine live.

Contact them on 021-5116340 ask for Wayne or Shajeen.

Hope this help.

Clown

10. WAYNE HEATHCOTE

Wow Thanks Achilles
    That Is The Best Advice I Have Gotten So Far
    I Will Definately Look At The Goby Option
    Pop By When U Are In Plett Again

11. Achilles

Achilles

Glad i could help, and i always pop by there because im an Aquarium fanatic and there arent many in plett :)

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi guys - even though Wayne does sell some good stuff - he is not a sponsor.
    I would appreciate it if you do suggest sponsors first.

We have some great sponsors - selling some awesome kit, in Cape Town. NAAC in Somerset West, and Sam's Aquarium in Bergvliet.

By all means - try out the other local available LFS's in Cape Town.

And decide for yourselves!

Recent Posts