Clarki clowns agressive to each other in new tank

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by VicZA, 31 Dec 2014.

1. VicZA

VicZA

A friend of mine gave me his two Clarki Clowns as they were irritating other fish in his 28G Nano. I moved them to my 100G 4' tank and after getting the first day out of the way with introductions to the Damsels, Wrasses and Tangs, they settled in nicely.

On the second day they discovered my Anemones (I have 3) and went to town .... they looked like they were diving into them and going mad - loving it !!

Two days of this and suddenly this morning they were very aggressive to each other, fighting for about 40 minutes near the nennies and causing damage to each other (see attached photo). Even feeding did not stop them.

Now they have spent the rest of the day apart from each other, on opposite sides of the tank, and no engagement with the Nennies at all.

Is this normal behaviour ?
    Is this sexing ? they already quite big fish ....
    Is this territorial aggression (for the nennies)

The nano they came from did not have ANY anemones in it at all.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

sorry .... here is the pic

Clarki Clown 01.jpg

4. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

ok, now the Clarkii's are starting to beat each other up proper !! Big chuncks missing out of the pectoral fins of both fish. Also (and I am guessing here) the comotion in the tank has caused me to loose two fish as well, one of which was the Female Mandarin that I posted a thread on yesterday - very upset with that, wow !!

Clarki Clown 02.jpg

5. hammers

hammers

A lot of people get this friendly happy picture when they see clowns because they think about nemo, in reality they are super agro. One generally becomes bigger than the others and becomes female, I think if they are both going for that spot in the pecking order that will cause problems, one needs to be more submissive than the other for there to be harmony. If you take one out the other should calm down but if you don't they will fight until one of them dies or submits. My maroon bites me if I play around in the tank and move rocks. He doesn't care how big I am. He made me bleed the one day using the spike on his cheek.

Recent Posts