Clam

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Warr7207, 6 Jan 2008.

1. Warr7207

Warr7207

I would like to get a clam at some stage for my marine system.

Where do I start ? What water perimeters are important to a clam. Do they photosynth ?

What species do you reefers have most success with ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. sunburst

sunburst

This is not something that should be considered lightly. They are hellish expensive for one and they are fairly demanding with their requirements. And if onecroaks in your tank it will make a big mess and potentially take a few victims with it

Parameters that are critical would be calcium and alkalinity. Like all calcifying animals that you will soon be keeping they will be removing calcium and alkalinity from the water. However these guys are insatiable. They need heaps .

They love light and feed on dissolved organics.

IMO The Squamosa is the easiest to keep.

4. Warr7207

Warr7207 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Don't get me wrong, I am only "window shopping". I reckon I need another 6-12 months before I look at LPS or Clams.

5. sunburst

sunburst

I like your thinking.
    Great hobby, but when things go wrong its not cool. And it can happen in hours. I have three different specie in my care and they are stunning animals. I would venture to say that if you can find a healthy specimen they could be one of your first additions (after 12 months).
    Try make it a squamosa

6. cybervic

cybervic

Most have been said. Squamosa is the best to begin with and if your tank is not too deep you can get away with T5's. Squamosa clams also prefer to be on the substrate (something sandy)

Crocea and Maxima clams are more demanding in light and water quality. They would do better under metal halides and prefer to be up in the rockwork. They can also handle a bit more flow than the squamosa (please do not read this as the same flow meant for SPS)

Things to lookout for when you by a clam is gaping, tears in the mantle or an excessivly bleaced mantle. Also look out for the byssal glands, these are the clams holdfasts to where it sit. If they are torn, the clam might die.

Other things to lookout for is little snails under the clam. There is certain boring snails that will kill your clam if not remove. Six line wrasses are good to control them.

What else can I say, good luck and enjoy your tank.

PS. Clams don't like to be moved around a lot, I suggest to acclimatise it to your light and then move it to the desired location and leave it there.

viper357 likes this.
Recent Posts