Clam - Substrate on mantle

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Benanna, 22 Jul 2011.

1. Benanna

Benanna

Hi everyone, calling all those clam fundi's. I got my first clam ever about 2 weeks ago. He or she is an awesome animal and doing very well.

Just a concern, I have a Midas Blenny who is constantly covering the clams mantle with substrate. Not directly, but when the Midas spits it into the water column it lands of the mantle.

The clam can't seem to get rid of it by itself, is it a problem? See photo below (sorry, quality of pic not great, taken with my phone.)

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Shouldn't be a problem, if it irretates the clam it will blow it off. What type of clam is that?

Last edited: 22 Jul 2011
  4. Manic

Manic Moderator

It doesn't look like it is a problem at the moment. If it gets worse it could be though. There are 2 things that concern me.

1) What clam species is that? If it is the one I am thinking about (Can't remember the name now) It needs to attach to a rock and can not live on the substrate.

2) Midas Blennies are not supposed to eat substrate. You sure it is a blenny and not a goby.

5. Manic

Manic Moderator

Just remembered the name, Tridacna crocea. It is hard to tell without seeing the shell but if it is this clam, which it looks like, it needs to be sitting on a rock and not the substrate.

6. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I fully agree, if it is a crocea, it shoud be placed fairly high up on the rock work, loves light.

7. Benanna

Benanna Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Yes it is a crocea. I was told to place on the substrate with a rock underneath. It would then attach itself to the rock just under the substrate.

If the more experienced of you believe it should be placed on a rock I will definiately place him higher on a rock.

The only thing is how well do they handle flow? The upper part of the tank has quite high flow.

Definately a Midas. He is not sifting the sand but rather constantly removing substrate from his hole and spitting it into the water column.

Thanks again everyone for your advice.

8. Manic

Manic Moderator

Clams can handle medium flow. Not extreme flow that the mantle is folding over itself though. You still sure it is a Midas. Midas blennies live in the rocks and swim in the water column, they don't usually live under the rocks in the sand. You sure it is not a yellow watchman goby?

9. Manic

Manic Moderator

This is a Midas Blenny:

[​IMG]

10. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Agree with the others, croceas prefer the rock work than being on the substrate...I had my first crocea as you have on a rock on the substrate, it was fine for a year or so, but it more ideal for it to be higher up on the rocks...I evntually lost it to bristle worms...they seem to love clams, seen a few taken out by them.

High flow would be a problem as it would blow the mantle around and irritate the clam and stop it from opening fully.
    Posted via Mobile Device

11. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

nice on ben, clam is looking good though...i had the same problem dident move my clam and it later died mysteriously.. find a nice spoy higher up and acess in a week or so ..

12. Benanna

Benanna Thread Starter

Thanks again everyone. Will place him higher this weekend and assess.

Definately a Midas. Will try and get a picture of him in his burrow and spitting out substrate during one of his house keeping sessions. Aweson fish, I love them.

Recent Posts