Clam jumping

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Elrond, 4 Jul 2011.

1. Elrond

Elrond

Dudes,

So I recently purchased a great clam. I'm not 100% sure if it's a Maxima or a Crocea. I'm running 6xT5's. It's been a week and he keeps jumping off the LR. Every now and then he appears to be settled and I wake up the morning and he's hopped off the rockery. This morning I just left him on the sand bed as I didnt have time to de-robe to fish him out. I'm placing him fairly high up on the LR and tried fillding with the powerheads... any suggestions??

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Yes, find out exactly what type it is. Clams should be placed in a good spot the first time and left in place. Moving healthy clams around can impose a lot of stress on them as they try to compensate for changes in light, flow and circulation.
    Clams should be set upon a hard, flat rock that is preferably buried just under the sand surface to reduce the risk from predators entering through the byssal port and damage vital organs. Do not put it on top of live rock again, it will hurt itself and or other corals/inverts. Also must not point a direct stream of water towards it, but rather random turbulant flow.

4. Reefhead

Reefhead

More than likely if he keeps jumping off it is cause he is not happy, could be for many reasons, flow, the rock, etc.
    If he is a maxima he will more than likely not be happy on the rocks, which means you will need to put him in the sand but then you have the problem of not enough light with those T5's
    I would suggest getting a close up pic of him so we can tell you what species he is
    If he is a Crocea then he will be fine on the rocks and with that light I would say you will need to place him fairly high up as close as possible to the lights. If he is a Crocea and he keeps jumping off then it could be a flow issue. Cant see prop but from the photos it looks like his mantles are lifting which would indicate to much flow over him.
    But yeah get a better pic and then take it from there because if he is a Maxima you will need to move to the sand and then make a plan for better lighting as a Maxima on the sand will not get enough light from those T5's IMO

5. Evo R

Evo R

Could also be that the clam might have seen a seahorse in your tank and made some click-click click-click sounds,there for falling off.....

I know , i know ive seen the Fish-away's adverts to many times.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

6. Elrond

Elrond Thread Starter

When I bought him, he was sitting for 2 months in a tank at a FS, on a nice chunk of LR under 2 T8's looking very happy with life... the FS had to pry him off the rock. I've seen him happy on LR before hence me being satisfied placing him on it...

7. Reefhead

Reefhead

Just for future ref dont ever pry him off the rock, you could seriously damage his "foot" or "base"
    Cool so if he is happy on the rocks then it might be a flow problem, maybe to much flow over him.
    Low light is fine for a while but long term, they will start loosing colour and then eventually start wittling away from a lack of food
    Your T5's will be ok long term (I think but prob not ideal) as long as you can place him quite close to them

8. Elrond

Elrond Thread Starter

I picked him up and placed him on another rock. Lighting is only 4xT5's at this time to of day. Crocea?

[​IMG]

9. coral diver

coral diver

looks like a crocea you don't need to put it on the rock sand will be good Crocea, Durasa and squamussa are light forgiving unlike the Maxima

10. Elrond

Elrond Thread Starter

Ok, so basically he'll only jump because of not being happy with flow... hmm...

Thanks guys! appreciate the input :)

11. Elrond

Elrond Thread Starter

BTW - clam settled on a nice piece of curved rock, I suppose it's obvious it needs to feel a little protected and have his foot firmly attached and not accessible from any evil critters. I didnt fiddle with the flow in this instance - only the rock it was sitting on. Thanks for the help guys.

Recent Posts