Urgent help needed Clam caught Clownfish

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Benanna, 26 May 2013.

1. Benanna

Benanna

It's been a while since I've posted but got an emergency.

[​IMG]

It must of just happened as the clownfish was still wriggling. Each time the clown moved the clam shut tighter. I tried to pull him out when the clam relaxed slightly but he is wedged tight.

Anyone got any suggestions. I think it is already too late and quite unusual. I don't know how it could of happened.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

Try gently turning a power head towards the clam but not directly into the mantle ... Just enough to irritate it or put some food near the clam to entice to open up

4. frankie fish

frankie fish

I suspect its more of a defensive situation,and not a feeding. Clams are filter feeders by nature,so I suspect that the clam was open,when the clown came snooping to close,and got caught. I suggest leaving it,remove the outer part of the clown,because the clam will probably spit the front half out.

5. Benanna

Benanna Thread Starter

Clam just opened and I managed to pull him out. Unfortunately he didn't make it. His head was squashed almost flat. The power of the clam.

I certainly hope the clams mantle has not been too badly damaged as the clowns gill seemed to be hooked when I pulled it out.

Yes, I think he was probably snooping around and the clam shut quickly on him.

Anyone else seen this happen before?

6. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

sorry for the loss dude.. akward situation as well, funny how nature is

7. Benanna

Benanna Thread Starter

Thanks. My young daughters saw him stuck in the clam and have been spending the last half an hour stopping the tears from flowing. Had to explain to them that it is nature and that is simply what can sometimes happens.

They feeling a bit better now. Amazing how we get attached to our cold blooded friends.

8. Strandlooper

Strandlooper

Gosh such an incredible thing to witness, amazing photo. Something hopefully none of us will witness again. Poor kiddies :eek: in the aquarium life goes on amazing! :)

9. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

really amazing. never seen anything like that before. sorry for the loss of the clown and also getting your daughter upset. maybe the clown was hoping that it can host in the clam and obviously the clam had other plans for the day.

10. Dorry

Dorry dorry

On the one side you don't see this, it is rare, and amazing pic. Also felt sorry for the little girls to see nemo like that. Luckily you can tell them a nice story and tomorrow get a new clown. It is a rare pic.

11. riyadh

riyadh

sorry for the loss, man, making me think about getting a clam now!!

12. Benanna

Benanna Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. Ya, Hot Sauce, could have wanted to host or was more likely chasing a piece of food that dropped into the clam. As the food touched down on the mantle the clam closed and my poor clown was at the wrong place at the wrong time. This is at least my theory, as I have had the clown since I started the tank about 3 years ago and I never saw it host in anything, not even a bubble tip nemi.

Recent Posts