Clam as a host

Here some picks of the clam’s side that don’t come out...today the clam opened but did not push out of the shell...
Do they do this or is it that my ph is a bit low...(7.6) the ca is high so I think it contubute to the low ph...

not the best pic

31344e29e5b74b7fd.jpg

31344e29e6279d760.jpg

Last edited:
I know there is a shrimp that lives in clams,also not much colour just the eyes are easy to see,it lives in the clam,is it not that?

You were dead on @Falcon..here some pics of the shrimp..the clam is dead by the way....looking at the picks from day one it is clear that i bought a clam that was on its way out...i'm so upset as it's only me to blame ...this was my firs clam and surly not the last...doing homework on livestock before hand is so importand...

this pic taken 2 days after i bought it...see the clam gaping and the back mantle comming loose..i bought it like that...shame on me...and lfs for selling it...nothing like experiance to get us doing our homework properly..
31344e2e96bde930e.jpg

here the shrimp..beautifull spesimen...
31344e2e97aa32488.jpg

31344e2e982b1efaf.jpg

31344e2e9859d5473.jpg

31344e2e98acee73d.jpg

Will this shrimp survive in a tank without a host...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome little critter. One of the Tridacnid commensal shrimp sp.

Normally they would host in nennies , LPS etc but it is well documented for them to host in clams.

I would guess it should find another host in your tank....unless it becomes fish food along the way

Nice shrimp,yeah put him in the nano...as long as there are no predators he should be fine....Sorry about the clam,and yes it seems that it was in bad shape already so not your fault that it died.

Try again with a healthy one...

Back
Top Bottom