Chromis

Reaction score
I am looking for some water column fish.

I currently have 2 x Clowns, Domini, Coral Beauty, Midasbleeny and Dwarf lionfish.

How many Chromis could add to a 400l system?

I would make sure the Chromis are big enough, to not get eaten by Lionfish

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Trouble is, anything smallish now is at some point going to be on the menu for the lion, it will get a bit bigger and anything slow enough will hit the radar, so chromis might not be a good idea.

Reaction score
Trouble is, anything smallish now is at some point going to be on the menu for the lion, it will get a bit bigger and anything slow enough will hit the radar, so chromis might not be a good idea.
The Dwarf Lion only eats food particles 5mm is diameter, he will not eat anything bigger as much as I have tried.

Do Chromis stay very small ?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
The Dwarf Lion only eats food particles 5mm is diameter, he will not eat anything bigger as much as I have tried.

Do Chromis stay very small ?
Up to around 50mm usually, i had 7....then 6.....then 5..etc they do ok for a while then start picking off the weaker ones (in my experience and going by what i have read)

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Up to around 50mm usually, i had 7....then 6.....then 5..etc they do ok for a while then start picking off the weaker ones (in my experience and going by what i have read)
Yeah, I had a similar experience strangely enough, I've ended up with just one chromis, although I did sell one, I think I originally had 6.

Reaction score
chromis also on my favourite list.looks awsome schooling with goldies.go for 5 chromis and 5 goldies and wow,your tank will look wicked.and chromis is cheap ;)
Mekaeel, you reckon a 400l will handle 16 fish ?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Mekaeel, you reckon a 400l will handle 16 fish ?
Depends totally on the size of the fish, 16 tiny fish might be fine, but 16 larger fish will overfill the tank, the rule of thumb is 1inch of fish to 4 gallons so 400lt = 88gals = 22inches of fish at expected adult length, so how big are your fish? 6 chromis going to be about 2 inches each = 12inches, won't leave much room for the other 10, and the lionfish you have, being a carnivore will be filling your tank with waste at an alarming rate.

Are these fish carnivores ?
No, not carnivores, just bullies to their own kind, a survival of the fittest type thing