Chromis Aggressive Towards Clowns?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by KevinR, 17 Feb 2010.

1. KevinR

KevinR

Has anybody had any problems with green chromis being aggressive to percula clowns? I have had the chromis in my tank for about 10 months now and about a month ago I put a frogspawn coral in the tank. One or two of the chromis really took to the coral and are always hovering around it. Yesterday I put in 2 small clowns. Much smaller than the chromis. And they too went for the frogspawn. The chromis did not seem to like this and chased them around a bit. Is this something to worry about? Has anybody had any similar experiences with chromis being aggressive?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

the chromis have defined their patch of reef and have taken the frogspawn as theirs, they will defend it against anyone, especially if that fish is smaller. if the tank is large enough you could look at getting something else for the clowns to try host in, a pin cushion or something like that.

note though, lps make poor hosts for fish like clowns as they rub the flesh against the calcitic skeleton which can kill the coral, softies are a better bet:)

4. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Chromis and clowns are both damsels so they sometimes tend to fight for territory

5. KevinR

KevinR Thread Starter

Thanks crispin I will get a pin cushion and see if they will take that instead.

6. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

As a possible solution try the following

Sump the chromis

Move the reef rock work and corals around a bit

re-introduce the chromis after 2 weeks or so ....

7. KevinR

KevinR Thread Starter

Mmm thanks but I have 5 chromis and they are very quick so I doubt I will catch them without destroying something. I have seen 3 of the chromis around the clowns so I dont think it is just one. I will however move the rock work and the frogspawn and see if that helps.

8. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

the idea is to craeate a "new" reef where nothing is familiar to any of the inhabitants .....

maybe use it as a major cleaning exercise or something

9. KevinR

KevinR Thread Starter

Thanks Neil I will give that a try as well.

10. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I have come to find that Chromis seem to be a lot more aggressive than people realise once they are settled in a tank.

I have 5 in my 6ft tank and they have taken on any new fish smaller or similar in size added to the tank...funny sight to see a 6-line wrasse getting chased by a Chromis :p

I wouldnt worry too much though if you only added the clowns yesterday as I have found that they tend to be aggressive towards new fish for a couple of days and once the new member is settled in will leave it alone.

As for the Frogspawn, depending on the size of your tank it may not be necessary to move the whole tank around but merely move the frogspawn to a different location. I found with my clowns that had hosted in my frogspawn for months that when I moved it from one side of the tank to the other they didnt go with it, but changed to hosting in something else...may be the case with your Chromis? Just some ideas to think about.

Good luck though :)

Recent Posts