Christian's v1.0

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Christian, 7 Feb 2011.

1. Christian

Christian

Howzit all,

I recently purchased SweetnSours Cube he had for sale, and finally managed to get it all set up.

Some of the details:

60x55x60cm Tank
    Dymax 150w MH for lighting
    Reeftek TS2 Skimmer
    5000l/h Wavemaker (to be improved in time)
    Reef Octopus Return pump 3000l/h
    Plumbing thanks to SweetnSour

I received 25kg of Liverock today, straight off the plane, of which I am keeping half for my sister who is also starting a tank. Below are some pictures of the tank and assorted crawlies I have found in the Liverock box, any chance for some IDs?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Feb 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Garethmur

Garethmur

where are the pics?

4. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Welcome to the forum Christian!

may the tank give you as much joy as it gave me.

looking forward to your pictures.

5. Christian

Christian Thread Starter

Pictures coming, I am fighting my PC over it at the moment...here are the tank pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Feb 2011
  6. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

pics pics

7. archiecrain

archiecrain

The joys of starting up on a new forum;)

8. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

the orange stuff is more than likely sponges, the crab i would sump and all the tiny anenomes are colonial nennies and can become a pest in the future.

9. Christian

Christian Thread Starter

I have a mountain of these crabs still sitting in the box, should I put these into the Sump, or rather keep them out of the system?

10. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

i prefer not to kill anything or throw them away as i wouldnt like to be that crab, i would sump them in your DSB area, maybe add a few tiny LR pieces there for them to hide

11. Christian

Christian Thread Starter

To the sump they go then, got some small pieces of LR which broke off during transit which I will donate to them.

12. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

yip , im hoping thats not your final scape?

13. Christian

Christian Thread Starter

Not at all, as I said, I am holding LR for my sister who is busy mixing Saltwater, ie, I wanted to the get rock into water as soon as I received it.

Once she is up and running, half of it will transfer to her tank, then I will add the Aragonite, and begin the scaping. Essentially I wanted some LR as a "base" amount, and for the actual scaping I will look for individual pieces which I need to get the scaping I want.

I reckon I should be getting going on all that by Wednesday or so

14. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Cool man , keep them pics rolling we all dig pics here

15. Christian

Christian Thread Starter

Here's a bunch more, outside of the assortment of crabs I also have a Hermit Hitchhiker, some type of snail, some bristly starfish as well as a different kind of Starfish, and some weird shrimp which has promptly turned on it's cloaking device as it has dissappeared...was see through and had pincers, I'll catch it sometime or another on Camera.

Also have around 8 of those Nennies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. maxisoft

maxisoft

Welcome to MASA....

17. Christian

Christian Thread Starter

Regarding the Anemonies, could someone give me a little bit of clarity on whether they are desirable to have in the tank, or if I should sump them for now whilst I haven't done any Aquascaping yet?

In the Anemonie forum, they have come up before, but I don't think I am equipped to really care for these buggers considering that my tank is less than 24 Hours old.

Anemone ID - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

18. Christian

Christian Thread Starter

I have read through all the stuff in the Aquascaping forum, but would like to get some more advice for my scaping etc which i will hopefully start now this Weekend.

1. I have a bag of Fiji Pink Araganonite which i would like to use a Substrate, would this need to be washed beforehand, or can I pretty much put it into the tank straight from the bag?

2. Is there any value to buying this "Live Aragonite" stuff I see at some LFS, advertised at containing all kinds of bacteria etc? I am a bit skeptic about it, especially at the price it costs, as I don't see how anything can survive in a bag for months and months after being collected, packed, shipped, surviving extremes in heat in containers etc. I specifically am looking at buying a small bag of it if there's any point and adding it to Playsand to form my DSB.

3. For scaping, I am planning on creating a bit of an open area on the left side of the tank and building up quite high towards the right back corner. I have bought some cable ties and Pratley's Putty (non quick set), should I basically cable tie the LR pieces together through various holes inside it, or is this normally done over a PVC piping "structure" for Stability? Is Pratley's reef safe, and would I use this by taking LR out and doing it outside the tank, or let it set inside the tank?

Thanks for the assistance in advance

19. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

you can cable tie the larger heavier pieces together and pretley the cable ties afterward so it doesnt look nasty.

you can also use carbon rods to join rocks together aswell, just drill and join.

pretleys is reef safe no dont stress, best to putty outside the water first and then finish it off underwater.

if it bacteria you looking for go for seachem stability , i find it better than MB7 (brightwells)

20. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome to MASA. looks like you off to a great start so far.

21. Christian

Christian Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

I actually have two additives right here as follows:

MicroBacter 7 and
    Reef Biofuel

Would I start putting this in pretty much now, or wait until Scaping / Substrate etc is in?

I am slightly worried about the current inhabitants, ie the crabs in sump, Hermit / Snail / Bristle Stars in DT as well as the Anemonies, of which two seem to be doing very well, especially the largest one which actually took some minced fish yesterday. I am still not sure what to do with these guys, as per my earlier post, they look to me like they are Phymanthus Buitendijki, which from what I manage to research online aren't a pest, but I don't want to kill them either considering that my tank is far from ready to house anything alive really. I am speaking to a LFS who may be able to take them off my hands for now, so will update on that front propably over the weekend.

As far as water parameters go, my Salinity was slightly too high (1.033, I r no good at maths it seems), so I added some more RO and will test again tomorrow, obviously the other values are no good right now either as the tank will start to cycle. I have bought a Tropic Marine testkit, but it's pretty damn difficult to actually determine the correct colour on the charts as they are very similar, so I am getting water tested at a LFS for now while I wrap my head around this as well.

SweetnSour, what is your estimate for total water volume on the tank, if sump / DT is full up, and return chamber is maybe 1cm below the overflow from DSB side? And is it safe to keep the water level at this height, or should I maybe go for return pump chamber at half full rather? Flooding my house will not make me the most popular guy around with my wife....

Thanks for the help everyone, I feel like I am getting there

Recent Posts