ChrisRaubs' Hexagon 22 gal DIY Nano

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by ChrisRaubs, 20 Jul 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

Hey There MASA Team!!

I'm quite new here to MASA, and haven't created a thread about my dream...

So this is what I'm planning to do:

I currently have a 22 gallon fresh water aquarium, which i intend to convert to a marine aquarium... I will need to build a overflow box and attach it to the current DT. Further more the refugium and sump together with all plumbing I'll need to DIY :eek: :p ...

The DT Measures:

L = 440mm
    W = 440mm
    H = 500mm

The Refugium Measures:

L = 555mm
    W = 176mm
    H = 310mm

The Sump Measures:

L = 555mm
    W = 400mm
    H = 435mm

Here are some pics:
    :thumbup:

Front View:

[​IMG]
    Left View :

[​IMG]
    Right View:

[​IMG]
    And From the Back:

[​IMG]
    Over flow box and return set-up:

[​IMG]
    Refugium:

[​IMG]
    Refugium side view:

[​IMG]
    4-Chamber Sump Top View:

[​IMG]
    Sump Side View (Right):

[​IMG]
    Return View:

[​IMG]

So that's it in a nutshell... Any in-put and suggestions will be highly appreciated as this is 100% in the planning phase, and the ideal stage to make amendments...

I'll definitely post some questions along the way,,, :blush:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jayceew

Jayceew

Nice idea and great drawings. Just an observation, plumbing has too many unnecessary bends and can be made simpler by drilling holes through the cabinet top to run piping straight down. You'll get much better flow. You need to pop by our place anyway at some stage, if you need help with any of the work I will help you if you need any extra hands.

4. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs Thread Starter

Stocking the tank:i was thinking of adding the following for

Fish:

2 x Ocelaris Clown-fish
    1 x Royal Gramma
    1 x Bangaii Cardinal
    1 x Goby (either Firefish or Yellow Watchman )

Corals: (Softies dominated tank,,,)

Multitudes of - Zoanthids
    a few colonies of - Acans
    x 1 - Finger Leather
    a bush of - Green Star Polyps
    x 1 - Chilli Coral (I read that they are NPS? Difficult to care for? have to research this one more)
    a colony of - Florida Ricordea (maybe)
    x1 - Toadstool Leather (maybe)

SPS:

x1 - Birdsnest

LPS:

x 1 - Candy Cane
    x 1 - Frogspawn
    x 1 - Sun Polyps (maybe, apparently very difficult to keep happy?)

CUC:

There is a wide variety to choose from, and some much needed help is required in this division...
    Considering the above corals and fish, any recommendations will be highly appreciated!! :thumbup:

5. ChrisRaubs

Hey @Jayceew ,,,

Didn't even think of drilling through the table surface,,, :eek: LOL

Sal definitief 'n draai kom maak. Life is hectic at the moment, but when i get close to starting this baby up, i'll definitely pop by!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. 2balive

2balive

Wow, if you ever plan to give drawing lessons pls let me know.

If you like the hexagon, then cool, but you will get significant more volume out of a cube of the same hight that can fit on your stand and the additional cost for new glass/tank will be marginal on this project.

I like the refugium concept. Also don't think you need the cutout in the sump for the pipe from the refigium, rather just have a straight back, always tricky to cut a square inside a glass pane.

With this setup you can fit a decent skimmer, and with the regugium you should be able to care for a chili coral. One of the "easier" NPS to care for, needs feeding, but an eager eater (at least mine is). The regugium will also help with food production. WOus just add it later when your filter capacity is established and the refugium is productive.

Nice project.

7. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I'm a bit lost...getting mixed up with you'r return and overflow...:blush:..I made a little "speech" about both...sorry my BAD...:blush:..I'm honestly not sure if you sketched the pipes wrong or that I'm really not understanding it properly...

Scenario 1...(if I go according to the Durso, then Scenario 1 isn't it...)
    Ok...so the one I circled is you'r Overflow...? Really not much "surface"...you really want a Design that has a large surface area...you also need to "cover" the end of the pipes or else you'r Fishy's and snails will just walk/swim in there....put "teeth" in front/eggcrate...on the return "gap" I'll do the same...snails will just climb over...
    [​IMG]

Scenario 2....
    Would that return be above the water...? Pouring back into the Tank like a Waterfall...? If so...you really don't want the bubbles...Saltwater Fishy's don't like bubbles...:p..and it will be noisy...
    And put some "teeth" across the overflow...or you'r Fishy's will go down the overflow...

Sorry I'm just not sure which is which..:blush:

Last edited: 21 Jul 2012
  8. ChrisRaubs

Hey @2balive ,,,

LOL,, funny tht you say tht... This is actually my first attemp,, and the only "training" I had was to watch the 4 into vids of the program... Google sketch Pro 8 makes thgs really easy, and it's all in scale so one can measure exactly how long the piping should be etc...

I was actually having the very same thoughts... I have the hexagon, but after doing the planning for the build of the refugium and sump, I actually realized tht the glass is almost the cheapest part and I might just as well build a brand new DT which will be much bigger... Might just be doing tht... Thnks for pointing tht out... :)

Hey there @belindamotion ,,,

The circled one (the t-piece section) is the return pipe,,, I must say, I didn't finish it off cause I'm going to be adding some bendable pipe "thing" there on both ends to direct the flow... Sorry if it caused confusion... The durso pipe will be the overflow pipe to refugium,,, you mentioned something which I'd love to get more info on... The overflow box is about 150mm long by 80..Wide by about 200mm high,,, I plan on keeping the water level about 2cm below that of the DT,,, does this mean that this small box will not give sufficient anot soo much flow as it would have if it was in the dt?

Thanks for all the input guys and gals!! It's really truly appreciated!!! ;-)

9. belindamotion

Thanks for explaining...:blush:..I'm definately not the brightest spark when it comes to Tank Designs...:blush: The overflow box should be fine...I was refering to it when I thought..(Scenario 1)..the t-section was the overflow...just remember to put "teeth" across...

10. ChrisRaubs

Hehe,,, No worries,,, i certainly know even less... So any help is always truly appreciated... :thumbup:

CUC,,, any thoughts there?

11. belindamotion

Last edited: 21 Jul 2012
  12. ChrisRaubs

Increased Weight Support ?

Hey guys,,,

Ok, so i know my table is able to hold my current DT,,, Approx 92 kg's

However, if i where to change the DT i have no idea whether the table will still be able to hold the newly acquired weight...

If i make use of the entire disposable surface area (can not use all of it due to a counter top over some of the table,,, pic 2 above) for the new tank (would be great actually, much more volume 195L) it relates to measurements of 700 L x 600 W x 500 H... this in turn relates to a total weight of approx 232 kg's

:eek: shocking how the increase in volume can quickly add weight :eek:

The table support is made up of 20mm x 20 mm Square Tubing, however the top part is much wider; 55mm x 20 mm (probably to make it buckle resistant),,

see pic:

[​IMG]

So the simple question is : "Will it hold?" :blush:

13. ChrisRaubs

14. Ayoob

Ayoob

Nice and Interesting drawing. Looking forward to see the end result

15. ChrisRaubs

Hey there @Ayoob ,,,

Thank you very much !!! ;-)

I can't wait myself!! If you've got any in-put please let me know,,, :)

16. belindamotion

I'm no expert but 20mm won't hold 700 x 600 x 500...:blush:...IMHO..
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=33444

17. ChrisRaubs

Thanks @belindamotion !!

I see the guys talking about safety ratings,,, calculations,,, etc. etc.. Tried a search on MASA, but nothing,,, :(

Do you perhaps know where i can get more info on this? Or if i use google,,, what phrase do i search,,, lol,,, my head is blocked tonight... :blush:

18. Jayceew

Jayceew

The legs of the stand also need to be linked to stop sideways movement. 20Mm square tubing would probably be enough if there's enough structural reinforcement but with the work involved it might be better to just build a new stand made for the tank.

19. SeanH

SeanH

Hey Chris, nice ideas and design buddy!! maybe go 40mm tubing with 1mm wall. also have some braces across the top of the stand at least 2 directly under the tank to support.

Now another idea passed is to run your pipe through the table. GREAT idea BUT why i would not do it is if you need to do some maintenance or changes etc you have to cut the piping which then affects the integrity and add complexity. Also I would try and have 2 edges, i.e back and front of the DT, supported by the front and back cross members which in turn sit on the legs. This increases the weight bearing capability. Once you rest the tank only on cross ribs which are welded and if one should give way life will be hell to empty and sort the stand. Not sure if i made sense LOL

Can't wait to see this come together :)

20. belindamotion

21. SeanH

SeanH

Nothing wrong with this :) that's why smaller tubing I upped the wall thickness so you could have extra weight capability. But many ways to skin a cat LOL

Recent Posts