ChrisRaubs' Cube

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by ChrisRaubs, 23 Jul 2012.

1. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

Hey Guys & Gals,,,

So after much deliberation, i've decided that it would be better to rather start a new build, from scratch... The Hexagon would have been ok, but in a few months' time i would just have to re-do everything due to the small size - i guess size DOES matter ... :p and instead of rushing into things now, and regretting it later, i will rather take the next month or two to start practicing that also ever needed "patience" factor...

What do you guys think?

Sorry for being such a mind changer... :whistling:

I intend to either DIY the DT and sump, or to have them build for me - though i figure doing the DIY will be much cheaper... :blush: Hinting towards @Visser for some advice, as he had such success in his DIY... :thumbup:

The cube size will then be as follows:

L = 700mm
    W = 700mm
    H = 600mm

As for the stand, i thought of going with 50mm sqr tubing for the main structure, and 20mm for insert across as well as 20mm for those diagonal bracing...

On that note, as for the sump... I'm a bit in two minds here,,, do i have a small little refigium and a sump, or do i just rather use up all available space beneath the DT, and have 4 or more compartments in the sump... as @RiaanP mentioned a while back to me... Having multi level sump + refugium might lead to unecesary complications later on, etc...

Will upload some more designs in a small bit,,,

NOOB question,,, is there any way of renaming this thread and having it moved to the "Medium sized tanks thread" without having to restart a new thread, as the tank volume will now be just under 300l and thus no longer a nano?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs Thread Starter

OH, but most important,,,

Thank you very much for all of the advice and tips you guys have shared so far... MASA is truly a great community!!! :yeahdude:

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Already upgrading :thumbup:

I see you are in Pretoria, we have a reef meeting Saturday in Moreleta Park. More than welcome to come around, listen and get ideas. Believe me, it is a lot better talking to guys who been there. The problem with designing setups, is that you would only know if it will work, after it is completed. Not easy to rectify certain issues once the tank is running.

5. ChrisRaubs

Hey @RiaanP ,,,

Would have loved to come through, but i'm hosting a B-Day party on sat... I know Jaycee very well, he's distant family... :thumbup: But i'll pop by his place some time soon...

As for the lucky me,,, I'm off for the remainder of the week,,, Just couldn't take it any more, so i had to put in some leave... :)

Guess who's harassing Dory Pets tomorrow !! :whistling:

6. SeanH

SeanH

Dude nothing wrong with changing your mind. It means you are thinking this through!! That is important because as Riaan also mentioned it is harder to change once It's done. 80/20 rule... 80% planning 20% doing!!

7. ChrisRaubs

Haha,,, definitely agree with this!!! :thumbup:

In my case it's like 400% thinking and planning and 20 % doing,,, but that's also ok...

8. SeanH

SeanH

100% ok LOL rather build it once.

9. ChrisRaubs

New design done...

So i finished of the design today,,,, this is what i came up with...

Front:
    [​IMG]

LEFT:

[​IMG]

RIGHT:

[​IMG]

TOP:

[​IMG]

A CLOSER LOOK AT THE SUMP:

[​IMG]

A CLOSER LOOK AT THE STAND:

[​IMG]

Eviola!!

I think i'm gonna leave it at this, unless you guys spot a flaw...

The new design has DT dimensions of 700*700*600 and will be filled 550 high, giving a DT volume of 270 L... :thumbup:

As for the sump,,, @RiaanP , it needs your stamp of approval ... ;) LOL

The dimensions are 700*600*400 ... It comes in at the top right chamber, which will house the skimmer,,, then flow over to top left chamber, which I'm thinking of utilizing as a small refugium type story (will have a ball of chaeto + some additional live rock),,, which then over flows to the bottom left, which will be the DSB chamber (I know it's a bit small, but that's the only space I've got for it... :blush:) ,,, then goes to bottom middle, where i'm intending to put the heater/s,,, the lastly bottom right which is return...

The main structure of the stand is 50mm sqr tubing , and the smaller bits is 20mm ... That ought to be strong enough i guess... @Jayceew ,do you have any idea where to find someone that will weld this structure? i've been left and right, but no one (retailers) seems to know... :eek:

Tomorrow i will post some questions on lighting, skimmers etc.. Mostly needs your guys' experience and preference on certain products...

Any how, good night peeps. Have a great eve ! ;)

10. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Won't the return pump just direct the flow back towards the overflow again...? Sorry I'm not to clued up on the "building side"...:blush:...why don't you do Coast to Coast...? Excellent surface area...:blush:
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=19407
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=19764

You could just do the basic 3Chamber Sump and place you'r LR on eggcrates ontop of the DSB...or just have a ball of Cheato floating above the DSB...:blush:..that way you can increase the size of you'r DSB..
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=19418

PS...with the return inside the Tank...how would you fix it.. should you have a problem with a..say...leak at the drilled and sealed section, on the floor bed...?

Last edited: 25 Jul 2012
  11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Not enough space to be able to get a skimmer in or out. In fact you will forever curse everytime you need to do something in that sump. There is just not enough head space to be able to do any maintenance easily.

using a soil vent valve as a Durso would make your overflow chamber smaller. But you do not want it too small as you do need the width to ensure that the head height of the overflow is not too much.

I will not hard plumb the return line as it will make it difficult to remove the pump for maintenance. Also rather have the return just running up the back is simpler. If you want an in tank return, use a reverse slim line overflow as return. Just narrower. A pipe like you got it will be an eyesore as stuff grows on it, and a hiding spot where fish can hide when you try to catch them.

OK sump, I would combine chamber 2 3 and 4. The refugium, DSB and heater area. One bigger DSB and with refugium on top of sand.

First get a skimmer and check what is the drowning depth of the skimmer, Meaning the maximum depth of water it can stand in to be able to still work. Make first divider that tall minus 5mm. Second divider, before return pump must be 5 to 10mm lower than the first. That will ensure the maximum depth of water above your DSB for space to be used as refugium. If not enough, then put the skimmer on a little stand. But for that, you need to raise your stand.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The problem with U shaped sumps is the flow you get. The corners tend to form dead spots, or settlement areas. Well at least it is easier to remove broken off pieces of cheato as it will be all collected in a corner, but it is not ideal. But this is the shape you have on Cube tanks. One of those things.

13. SeanH

SeanH

Hey Chris - not necessarily a flaw but the corner 45 degree braces should not be necessary and the corner joints especially on the top main members should be 45 degree joints so that both members are supported by the verticle legs. The 45 degree bracing in the corners will come and haunt you at the very least but shouldn't be necessary. Also yuor return pipe - I see yuo have it in the front? Will you be hiding the corners with some black perspex etc or it may become an eyesore... I am not a pro builder but I am just thinking in the lines of if i had to buy a tank what would i expect to get for my money... ;)

14. Jayceew

Jayceew

Yes I do, best welding at the fairest price in Pta.

By the way, I should have mentioned this earlier, I have my old 50x50x50 cube made from 6mm glass but braced that you can have, it's smaller than your plans here but still a nice size. Needs some cleaning and polysterene, that's it.

15. ChrisRaubs

In-Put is GREEAT!! ;-)

Hey Belinda,

The only thing i've got against the C2C is that it takes up to much space... I want this to be to the minimum, but still big enough for proper surface skimming... i did however see a design inserted on one of the links which i quite liked,, it was inserted by your self for the "upgrade" you planned....

the return pipe "inside" the cabinet will be flexible hose with 25mm diam,,,, i only used the PVC pipe for illustration purposes... so it should be easy enough to remove from the pump for maintenance purposes.. however, the return pipe in the DT will be PVC...

Thanks for the tip on moving the chaeto and LR, i will definitely do this...

Hey Riaan,

Is it a must to have the sump run in a U shape?

The reason why i ask, cause then the drain pipe as well as return is on the same side... will this be a problem in terms of surface skimming, thoughts are that all detritus will be forced to one side of the DT without any escape... I could always plumb the return pipe around to the other side of the DT, but i don't know what this will do to the flow-rate of the return pump with the additional "head"? If the effect is minimal i would actually prefer it to be on one side then... If i where to go for the U shape, i can always throw in a small pump to create that laminar flow, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem...

My return pump's outlet size is 25mm , do i use the same size for return pipping, or should i reduce to 20mm?

my "viewing" angles on this tank will be predominantly from the Front and left side of the tank, and a little from the right... The back side is is against a counter top, with only a small section (about 200mm) see-able... So if i could plumb the piping only on this side of the tank, it would be great...

"" After reading the whole reply, i just noticed how i contradicted myself,, LOL :lol: ,, I think having that design Belinda inserted in one of the links above will actually look very nice... I think i should go for that one...""

A few more "noob" questions...
    :p

-Which is preferred, drilling the holes on the side panels or on the bottom,,, i would prefer bottom, but are there any cons to this?

-what is the minimum distance allowed in-between drilled holes?

-What is a "reverse-slimline return" :blush: i read about it, but can't see any designs, or is it that one you sketched-up in Neils' thread with overflows etc.? in one of the links Belinda gave above...

When we refer to the "head" on the return pump, do we talk about the total distance the water should travel, or is it how high it has to go? Can't believe i'm actually putting this on black and white... :whistling: :blush: :whistling:

Hey Sean,

Makes sense,,, so only braces on the top then? I will adapt,,, thanks for that input.

Still in a bit of deliberation, i think having both return pipe and drain pipe on the back side will be better then and only plumb the return pipe to the front side... This will be within the DT, but right at the very top not see able...

16. ChrisRaubs

Jy red my LEWE!! :yeahdude:

You don't wanna know how I've been struggling to get someone to weld it... I'll PM you some more detailed designs etc...

But by the looks of it, there might be one or two more mods coming... :)

Lekker dag man,,,

17. ChrisRaubs

this overflow setup...

[​IMG]

the left hole will be used for draining, and the right for return, wich i will plumb around the tank to ward the bottom side of the picture...

Yay or nay?

Last edited: 25 Jul 2012
  18. Jayceew

Jayceew

We can go to this guy at any time, so first finish all of your design and planning work, once finalised send me a plan for him to work off and I will arrange it.

19. belindamotion

Why not leave both for overflow and then 2 either side for return...?
    [​IMG]
    I could never decide how I wanted it...hence I ended going with C2C and all 4 being drilled thru the bottom...then all pipes are out of sight...still playing around with that idea...:blush:

20. belindamotion

My understanding...and that is if I read you'r question correctly...we buy a pump with X-amount of head height...to find that out...you add you'r Tank stand together with the actual height of you'r water level...If I'm correct...:blush:...anyway, I got recommended this pump on a similar set-up...
    Unless you'r talking about this head height...In that case I'm likely clueless..
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=25134

21. ChrisRaubs

I actually don't want any pipes visible outside of the DT, i am considering taking the same design and squeezing a third hole in there, to then have two drains and one return,,,

But i'm still awaiting indications as to how far apart one can safely drill holes in glass,,, This will depict wheter i will have 3 holes or just 2...

If i really had to, i can extend the DT to 800*700*600, but i prefer not to, cause then it will be flush with the table top counter,,, you never know, something might slip and hit the glass = disaster!! LOL If i do this, then i can do a full C2C, but i don't think i'll go that way... :blush:

This is the one,,, thus in theory, if the pipe where to travel lets say 600mm horizontally a the highest point in the system, it does not necessarily affect the HEAD that much?

If this is the case, my "head" above the pump will be approximately 1.3m , and the pump is rated at 4.2M with max JET being 4800 l/h ... i suppose it will probably drop to half of the original amount... which will be perfect in my case.

Recent Posts