Choosing cleaner crew for TL-550

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by Springer_30, 20 Aug 2012.

1. Springer_30

Springer_30

Was wondering what sort of cuc I should get for my tank. I currently only have 5.5kg of live rock but will be adding some more within the next couple of days.

Any suggestions?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ayoob

Ayoob

Cycle has to be completed before adding anything. First get all LR in tank then move onto getting livestock when nitrogen cycle is complete. Add some hermit crabs and turbo snails as CUC.

4. mornewil

mornewil Morne

Also running a TL550

My list

4x dwarf hermits
    4x turbo snails
    1x cleaner shrimp
    1x red starfish

Oh & welcome to the Boyu Club:thumbup:

Post some pics bud;)

5. Springer_30

Springer_30 Thread Starter

So I need to get all live rock in first, I cannot add some more later?

6. Springer_30

I will, as soon as there is some more to see ;)

7. NADEEM

NADEEM

Howzit man,also have a tl550. I have 2 x turbo snails, 2 x hermit crabs and a cleaner shrimp but definitely going to get about 2 more snails.
    I have nice live rock in my tank, have about 16kg, a bit too much for the scape I want so I will sell you some,let me know I am in goodwood.
    Enjoy

8. Springer_30

PM sent ;)

9. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Welcome to Masa. You can always add liverock later.Its better to add the majority now as you will get die off from the live rock which will then cause your system to have excess nutrients.Your tank is still new an your will and must stillg go through the cycle period.After that you can add a clean up crew. Have a look on some of the reads here , beginnes forums and (this is what @Tobes normally welcomes you with : its a good read Starting With Marines - Marine Aquariums of South Africa .

good luck. post some pics and do proper research before you buy anything for the tank. It will save you a lot of money and will save your livestock in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Springer_30

Thanks for the tip. I have read through those threads, I am just doing my planning in advance. I am aware that it will be about a month before I can add the CUC :)

Hopefully I can get some more LR from NADEEM :thumbup:

11. crispin

crispin

welcome to masa, great to have you join :)

id also suggest adding all your LR now, let it cycle through and then start adding cuc. It realy helps the tank to settle better to do it all at once.

to add to the CUc already suggested you could look at getting some nassarium snails for the sand bed and some micro stars to live in the rock work. they do a fantastic job.

if you can wait a while for your pod population to multiply before adding predators fish (almost all fish will eat live pods:() they will do a great job as cuc and algae controll, but not many people can wait that long before adding fish :)

12. Nanos'R'us

Nanos'R'us JsPLAYn

welcome to the boyu club........... my advice is go crazy with cleanup crew,as u can never have enough

i currenty have 14 turbos
    red starfish
    blue-legged hermit
    2x cleaner shrimp
    2x anemone shrimp
    salarius goby

and waiting for shipment of dwarf hermits,have 15 booked and diamondback goby for sand bed when tanks matures a bit more

Last edited: 20 Aug 2012
  13. NADEEM

NADEEM

Using my wifes bb here and every time I try checking my pm,it doesn't wana load,stupid phone.lol.
    Anyhow will try again in a little while and will reply to you.
    Good to do your planning and research well in advance.

14. Springer_30

Just wanted to know what type of LR you have, how much you want to part with and for what price ;)

15. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

That's quite a cuc. Are u planning on extra feedings? I'm just thinking,if you don't have enough snails,crabs you will see the numbers declining.hermits might turn on snails,hermits. Unless u plan in feeding A LOT I think ur cuc might be a bit muh for a tl550.maybe I'm wrong,its my feeling.

16. Nanos'R'us

Nanos'R'us JsPLAYn

well, the snails eat from back panel and glass,i dnt clean back panel @ all so the always grazing on there,gt them a while with no problems.as for hermits,specially dwarfs,awesum part of them is they clean in the smallest grooves so with that amount they will all get food and tackle bigger amts before decaying and my fish gets daily feedings so there should be more than suffient food for them

i was actually recommended 25 dwarf hermits and 20 dwarf turbos on 3 overseas sites, nw that seemed bit overkill :lol:

also the fact that im running a 90% SPS tank,i wouldnt wana risk any food going unused and causing nutrient issues

Last edited: 20 Aug 2012
  17. Springer_30

Something else, I have a seio 5000l/h powerhead. The aragonie keeps shifting and forming little dunes in the tank. Is the pump too powerful perhaps?

18. Nanos'R'us

Nanos'R'us JsPLAYn

with no disrespect to MASA... but when i do research i try to mainly use reef central,ultimate reef,nano reef etc.... unfortunately on masa there are tooo many personal opinions which tends to confuse you more than help, wereas on those sites there responses are very professional,to the point and proven methods

19. brentnorm

brentnorm

Have you tried facing it more toward the surface?

20. Nanos'R'us

Nanos'R'us JsPLAYn

could be too powerfull for one pump? 2x 3000s in diferent directions may work better

21. Springer_30

Just dropped it about halfway to the bottom and turned it to face a little upwards. Hopefully this will work and not decrease the flow lower in the tank.

Need to play a bit methinks ;)

Recent Posts