Choices

Which would you rather have? A 2.1m reef or two cubes with 1x reef and 1x FOWLR?

• Big Reef

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Two Cubes

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi, I'm at one of those stages where I have to make a choice. I want too keep some possible not reefsafe fish and I want to have a reef tank.

I have 2 options. A 2.1m x 0.8m x 0.65 full blown reef tank and leave the not so reefsafe stuff or two 1m x 1m x 0.65m cubes, one reef and one FOWLR.

What whould you guys/gals suggest and what would be your reasoning behind your choice?

Full blown reef. IMO it's far easier having 1 tank to look after... but if they on one sump then it will be a hard choice...

spend the money on one carx, skimmer etc once and dedicate your all to one system than try run two... in my experience one if two systems are run always gets more attention than the other....

Will be 2 sumps 2 everything. Lights will be diy skylights supplimented by actinic T5's (We get loads of sunlight here in Kimberley all year round)

I would go for the one reef tank, if you want the reef and the fish only your 2 x 1mx1m tanks would limit you greatly in choice of fish. i.e. no tangs in the reef and possibly only dwarf angels in the F/O - you wouldn't be able to go for big triggers or lionfish.

I would go for the one reef tank, if you want the reef and the fish only your 2 x 1mx1m tanks would limit you greatly in choice of fish. i.e. no tangs in the reef and possibly only dwarf angels in the F/O - you wouldn't be able to go for big triggers or lionfish.

I want to disagree on the fish selection limitation. The water volume on a cube would be 650l. That is 1.5 times more than a standard 1.8mx .5 x .45 and I'm keeping 2 tangs and a foxface in such a setup. All very healthy

I want to disagree on the fish selection limitation. The water volume on a cube would be 650l. That is 1.5 times more than a standard 1.8mx .5 x .45 and I'm keeping 2 tangs and a foxface in such a setup. All very healthy

Tangs are strong swimmers, they will cover the legth of a 2m tank in the blink of an eye, i don't think water volume is as importantas having somewhere to swim, the cube is a metre wide, so the length of swim is 1m regardless of water volume.
Just my opinion.

Tangs are strong swimmers, they will cover the legth of a 2m tank in the blink of an eye, i don't think water volume is as importantas having somewhere to swim, the cube is a metre wide, so the length of swim is 1m regardless of water volume.
Just my opinion.

Ahh thanks. Point taken. Did not really look at it that way.

No problem, just make sure there are loads of piccies when you decide on your tank(s):)

Oh did I forgot to mention that I bought a 1gb flash card for my camera and a tripod .... how thoughtless of me. Trust me .. the poor dial-up users will swear at me. I'll post pics right from the beginning till the end.

Oh did I forgot to mention that I bought a 1gb flash card for my camera and a tripod .... how thoughtless of me. Trust me .. the poor dial-up users will swear at me. I'll post pics right from the beginning till the end.

I can get to broadband when SWMBO lets me:)

Swmbo?

I would say full blown reef my two tanks measure as follow's reef tank 1200 x 800 x 550
Fish only 2.5 x 700 x 600

The bigger the better when it comes to fish only they produce so much waste you need the volume just to keep up with water quality.

i would go for 2 cubes.ive turned out to be a mad cube fan

4 gem tangs ye say? Oh well looks like the verdict is in. 11 to 3 and the big reef in the south takes the cup again <eg>

Thanks for everyones input. It seems I'll be going with the big reef then. Now I need to start saving up. The skylight for the big tank will set me back about R9k. I have to get that installed before any tank building can start.

Thanks
Wikus

Back
Top Bottom