Chipped glass on fuge, patch?

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Dane, 3 Jul 2010.

1. Dane

Dane

hey all,

I recently had a little fuge made for my nano, its 60longx30highx12wide (cm)
    Had an overflow groove ground on the rim, which worked like a charm! Unfortunately, the base of the glass on the wide side chipped slightly from the vibrations. a few small fragments came out, none higher than a 1mm, and none longer than 2mm. All right along the OUTSIDE base of the glass...

Really would like to set this up tomorrow, have very little free time with my masters, so wanted to know if I can "patch" this up?

Siliconing a glass strip along the inside base? Some sort of pratleys? or just siliconing a fat wedge on the inside and in the chips?

none of the chips reach right through the 4mm glass btw...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Silicone a thicker strip (ie 6 mm) on the inside dane & make wider than the chips ( quite a bit) this will create a brace

4. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Thanks farns ;-) Thats what I was thinking.

Do you think a strip of 4mm glass will be okay? I have some pieces lying around but it will have to be two sections of about 15cm each... I spose I could always stack two sections of 4mm on top of each other ;-)

5. FransSny

FransSny

Dane cant see why it wont work, the fuge has low flow & is quite shallow (which IMHO influences the way glass "bends")

6. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Yeah it didnt seem like a very risky fix to me. its a small fuge - i think i might just cut two strips of 4mm glass thast about 4cm tall and lay it up against the side with the chips, rather than along the bottom... after all thats the side that needs to be secured right?

thanks again frans :)

Recent Posts