Chinese led lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by irie ivan, 6 Dec 2012.

1. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

I have hardly been following the influx of LED lighting in our hobby with much interest, but am faced with having to upgrade my coral roasting grill for aesthetic and cost reasons.
    Having to admit that I am completely clueless on the whole LED trend and exactly what I need, I hit google and have managed to learn first and foremost, what I can't get. Vertex, Mazzara, Pacigfic Sun, Radions, might have all the bells and whistles, but quite frankly, I cannot justify spending a fortune on sunrise and sunset units, lightning storms and almost infinite colour manipulation through the latest blue tooth software and interweb links..... Bottom line, I simply cannot afford the units needed for sps growth which are currently offered in the hobby locally.

I stubled on a huge thread on RC about Chinese LED units, and it seems the guys are experiencing a significant degree of success with bringing in affordable units from the East. The most popular units being the units made by Evergrow, specifically the D120: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...ED-aquarium-light-with-28B-27W/586800405.html
    and the units made by E shine http://www.eshinesystems.com/led-aquarium-light.html

On the Evergrow D120 units, it does not seem like there is a controller on the units, but it comes with fans, two channel dimmer switches, two power cords to plug into timers to control sunrise and sunset, the ability to customize the diode colours they put in for you and stipulate which diodes you want on which channel, examples: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...rium-light-with-63B-56W/317880_587062331.html

They use Bridgelux diodes, which are from what I believe 15% less effective than the latest CREE. However, for an additional cost, they are willing to replace the bridgelux diodes with CREE.
    They have also just released a new unit which is heading in the direction of bells and whistles and features all CREE LEDs, available in three sizes:Multifunction Programmable 120w Cree Led Aquarium Lighting - Buy Programmable Led Aquarium Lighting,120 Watt Led Aquarium Lighting Product on Alibaba.com. The smallest unit is what I will probably go for, needing two, $425 each, including shipping.
    Unlike in the states, these companies do not offer free shipping to SA, but it looks like I can get two of the D120 units, with customized colours, including shipping via DHL for $390 for TWO units.....
    My only other option at the moment are the Maxspect Razors, but as just below R5K each, its really a no brainer.

Would love to know thoughts from fellow hobbyists, and if anybody can help with knowledge on Customs and clearance and import tax on LED units, etc.

I understand this thread might ruffle some feathers with sponsors, but lease believe me I am not trying to organise a bulk buy, promote shilling or take any sales away from anyone. Quite frankly guys, we cannot all afford to drive bentleys and masseratis....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i imported LED chips and multichips and only paid VAT, no import duties

4. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

i tried those eshine units and I was truly impressed...
    I had 2 units of which each unit has 20 LEDs 10 white and 10 blue..So two units of 40leds int otal on a 1000mm X 1000mm X 600mm high tank and my SPS were colouring up and growing nicely....

So I didnt see why I needed to spend all the $$$$ on name brand units when those eshine units done the trick perfectly

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

My thoughts @irie ivan, buy the best you can afford, through time technology will get better and cheaper. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Quintin

Quintin

You will find that 99% of the components even the really expense German built units all use Chinese sub components and lighting.
    In the past China was like the old Japan that mass produced rubbish to flood the market with a variety of products to compete as a cheaper cloned brand.

But that mindset has since changed quite a bit with the new Chinese quality law passed on all their products.

I know loads of guys that have paid a lot less for pre-manufactured chinese lighting systems and they are very happy with them. To be honest a fair amount of them will put the expensive german brands to shame when it comes to PAR values......

7. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hey Irie

I imported my own. No one was really selling affordable good quality Cree LED light units.

It was easy as pancakes and they work well!

100% cree, they even customizable on order.(You choose your LED mix)
    I have 4 - They are wirelessly controlled by a single controller.
    I get about +- 1mm growth a day on my acros.

Cost the same as importing the parts and building them here.!!!!

8. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

9. dallasg

but i see now that the evergrow units do not ship to SA

10. belindamotion

11. Express Reef

Express Reef

@williet please pm me the site details please:)

12. irie ivan

irie ivan Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Also been looking at it, but ut off by the t5's being 14Watt.... Didn't know one gets 14W t5 lamps... Have not dealt with eshine, just been daling with evergrow. A message from them re shipping:

The english leaves a bit to be desired, but definitely not R1K for shipping....

13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Hmmmmm..... They are not that good bud.... You need to come and see MY TANK :). It still has those lights plus i have installed two top brand units. You cant compare the two. The top brand are way better.

14. irie ivan

irie ivan Thread Starter MASA Contributor

No Arguing that old man!!! A Bentley is better than a merc and a merc beats a Honda, but a Honda is still a great car..... Silly analogy, but at the end of the day its about cost!!!! If I had the cash and could afford it, I would buy one of those new ati LED units or the new gieseman units in a flash....

15. belindamotion

But I can't afford the SOL for my little NANO...:dft004:

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

B you are correct. You get what you pay for. One cant compare apples with pears.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2012
  17. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Sad part is, there are so many units out there, and we, as consumers can never truly say which one is best. Yes, you will hear all the marketing done by all the leading brands, and each brand saying their one is better. I still say, do some reading, decide if LED's are the way for you and buy what you can afford, you'll certainly be saving money on yearly globe replacements.

18. dallasg

i agree...
    i have done the DIY route, and it worked for me at the expense of a pretty unit etc..
    i have seen good tanks with cheap, DIY and top end systems and while lighting is important, many other factors influence the corals as well...

having said that i feel the "retail" units if i can use that term have put in the R&D as to what works etc, while the DIY we have issues like blowing LED's, cheap looking etc

its about personal preference at the end of the day

19. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I agree @Nemos Janitor, but even the apples and apples are very hard to compare, and no one is really eager to do a full test on all the "apple" units, or even the "brussel sprout" units. I always use my experience as an example. I knew what I was looking for, first I decided DIY, then went against it as I am hopeless with DIY, then read tons until I chose a unit that I thought suited me (I was lamb pasted for that, by another leading brand supplier, very unpleasant) in the end, I could honestly say that what I chose is better in some areas and second in others, but I am still very happy.

20. Quintin

Quintin

21. Quintin

Quintin

And about R36K worse off....:tt2:

Recent Posts