Chillers?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by PhilOos, 8 Nov 2010.

1. PhilOos

PhilOos

Hi,
    I have a 700 liter tank for about 2 months now. I keep a few hardy fish and had some leathers and mushrooms growing quite well. The sudden rise in temperature the last two weeks caused my tanks temperature to climb to 27.6 - 28.9 ÂșC! My corals died unfortunately, but my fish aren't affected.

So I went to the local pet shop to talk about my belated corals and they suggested I install a chiller. Fine... but when they told me the price I spontaneously started to cough. R6000+ for my size tank. I've considered alternative DIY options...but no, I don't want my tank to look like a "maplotter" setup.

Seeing that this is the most expensive piece of equipment, I really need some advise on the matter. What make is reliable and what flow rate should I consider? Any advise will be appreciated..

:yeahdude:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

I'm surprised your corals died! as although that temp is high I dont think it should have killed them, esp. mushies and leathers. Is everything else in check?

For cooling you can also try fans or a combo of an ATS (algae turf scrubber) and fans! both are alot cheaper from an OPex and CAPex perspective ;)

good luck

Last edited: 8 Nov 2010
  4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Fans work very well in controlling temperature, you do get some very smart looking ones that clip onto your tank, like the Tunze Aquawind fans. Although you may need a couple on your tank.

[​IMG]

If you are deadset on a chiller then the brands I would recommend are Resun (I have one running for about 4 years now), also Aquamedic, Hailea, I'm not sure of any others. The chiller you buy will tell you what the recommended flow rate is.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Another option is an open Algae scrubber with some fans on it. Big evaporation rate, cool tank down while it also helps with nutrient export. My tank in my lapa was running with heaters on in February.

We have a get together Pretoria / Centurion on 20 November
    November Meeting -PTA - Page 2 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Come around, have some marine talk, and maybe find a solution.

6. durleo

durleo

7. Lycan

Lycan

Does anybody in SA stock the Tunze aquawind fans ?

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

9. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

i am selling my chiller.its a Resun cl650 rated for 1000L.with a 1750lph pump for R2000.chillers are nice to have but are pricey.fans do a good job too and are much cheaper;)

Recent Posts