Chillers

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by lloyd18, 26 Oct 2010.

1. lloyd18

lloyd18

Hi Everyone,

Was hoping you could offer some advice, on a standard uncovered aquarium when at what ambient air temp would you start to require the addition of a chiller, just a little concerned with summer coming up if I am going to require one or not.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. SumthingFishy

SumthingFishy

Not sure what the ambient/room temp is during summer along the west coast. But to go give you some idea. In Paarl last year when it was 40 degrees, my 240ltr freshwater tank's temp was 32!!! Used 2x 2ltr frozen coke bottles and that dropped the temp down by 2-3 degrees in a time of 3 hours.

4. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

If you're trying get away from buying/running a chiller, I think the best bet is to increase evaporation. Some guys add in an ATS and stick a fan on it! then you have nutrient export PLUS cooling!

5. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Was having temperature issues couple weeks back, installed pc fans, does the trick..

6. lloyd18

lloyd18 Thread Starter

the op of my tank is open so not sure if the fans will help I am just wondering with summer on the way am I going to have problems

7. JD167

JD167

The fan over the sump method worked for me before I installed my chiller. It does however increase your evaporation rate(specially if you have a ATS), so make sure you have enough RO water stocked up.

8. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

My tank top is also open, I had it in the sump initially but found it's more efficient on top of tank & yes I agree, it does increase evaporation but at least the temp is more stable...

Recent Posts