chiller vs aircon?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Travis1, 26 Jun 2009.

1. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

would this work, im sure it would. instead of buying a chiller for lets say 4 grand. can i rather install an aircon for the same price, then it would be benificial for both me and the tank. any sugesstions, would this be enough for keeping the tank cool on hot days? i live in a flat, so tempreture does vary inside the flat.:p

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

This is the question I asked my self when setting my tanks up and opted for the aircon - so far so good - My temp in the room stays constant and never actually had to use my heaters and now I'm going to end up with about 2000Ltrs

4. Travis1

Travis1 Thread Starter (wilsontravy)

cool. so its worth it to just buy an aircon then? but what is the difference between the chiller and aircon regarding power usage/ monthly cost?

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i think each situation is unique and must be assessed differntly, things like aircon positioning, size of room and sun facing side of the building are things to consider before jumping to a conclusion. in general an aircon in a smallish room will work but i still believe that a chiller is the best option. temperature is king controll it and your basic chemistry in terms of heat/oxygen - co2 relationship and ph is gauranteed to be as close to stable as possible.

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

Have to check the wattage on the chiller rated for your system volume versus aircon suited to your room size but like a say we enjoy the benefits of the aircon keeping the temp constant in the room - what lighting you plan on using? Important point that Leslies making - I agree If temp is kept constant everything you do in terms of additives, salt and testing parameters should just fall into place! So best of both worlds - the water in our tanks are generally affected by the temp of air around air since most tanks are indoors and not affected by the weather so if the air around the vicinity of the tank is constant shouldnt the water temp be constant?

7. arab NA

arab NA

I had the same idea !the size of the unit and placemet will be important.
    The big question is will it work......

8. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

Wilsontravy i see your from Durb's you will have a problem with heat in the summer ,the aircon will not be efficient especially if your running big lights
    Chikaboo you will get away with it because your system is big the water will have enough time to cool down between tanks.

9. Travis1

im going to be using 2 by 150w mh, and starting off with 2 by 54w t5's. im sure it will work, my tank will be near the front door, away from the sun side of the room. plus, not jst gonna aircon the lounge area, the whole house will be airconed, like as you see in big stores, so every room will have an aircon.

10. Travis1

thats the problem, due to living in a flat, when its hot outside, its even worse in the flat, visa versa on cold days. but if the flat stays at a constant temp, ie aircon running the whole day, will it still work? but then there is the cost of things, which would be more effective, but least costly. but then yet again, my fiance really wants an aircon, we both suffer from the heat. wat to do?

11. chikaboo

chikaboo

And I dont have MH

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

All this lighting over what water volume?

13. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

get a aircon you can get a chiller later.

14. Travis1

its not up and running yet, but its gonna be plus/minus 400 litres. is the lighting too much for the tank?

15. chikaboo

chikaboo

Also work out the quotes for getting the central ventilation versus individual aircons - when we did our comparisons it worked out to almost the same but opted for individual units as at least if one is troubling the rest of the house doesnt have to suffer and it gave me the freedom to choose a bigger compressor for the room where the tank is compared to our bedrooms - Also if in a flat and wanna move with the units to a new place easier to move individual units and adapt to a new place than one big central proccessing setup! Also when ready I'll pm you a buddies number in Durban - to give you a quote on aircons - maybe can save you some $$$$

16. Travis1

thanks for the info chikaboo. will definately look into that

17. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

no it's what corrals want.

18. Travis1

thought so.

19. chikaboo

chikaboo

Sorry to sound like a stupid but can one actually have too much lighting for corals?Or is a case of the more the better?Just to sort out what to do with the heat!

20. Travis1

some people really do rip you off. i work in the food industry, Wimpy actually. now i had a plan of getting a chiller made for me, by the same guy who repairs and maintains our fridges/freezer. thought i could get it cheaper. he quoted me, 8 to 10 grand for a 1/2hp chiller. thats rediculous.

21. Travis1

im not entirely sure, im still pretty new at this hobbie. interesting question....

Recent Posts