Chiller Setup Help...

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just installed the chiller but not sure if it will be ok. My aim is to get as much of the hot air out the room as quickly as possible so the chiller can work at 100%.

View from outside.
chiller5.jpg

What you see is the frame, the area will be covered with wood I will drill breather holes where the chillers grill is.

Front view from inside the room...

chiller4.jpg

Please note bottom right is a hole in the wall, this is where the return will go through to the tank.

I plan on feeding the chiller via the return pump (or3500) head will be about 1m.
Please tell me should you think this will not be perfect. It's quite a tight squeeze but I only have a space of 1550x1300 to make a fish room...

Thanks for the help

I cannot see that not working :)

OR 3500 might be a bit much for a chiller IMO

Yip I'm going to have a bypass but the box says 1000l to 4000l...this is the baby big boy HC1000

Thanks...I was worried about it being so close to the roof and walls...

As long as you can get the hot air out and cold air in your good:thumbup:

That chiller will generate quite a bit of heat, as long as you can get rid of it then it looks good to me.

That chiller will generate quite a bit of heat, as long as you can get rid of it then it looks good to me.

Agreed worst case scenario is you might have to put a second fan in but i doubt it

Jeepers ...big chiller for a nano.
Air gets sucked in from the sides and gets blown out the back. If chiller sucks in warm air, efficiency is seriously compromised. I do not believe breather holes are suitable. The flow should be unfettered.
Breather holes; if i visualize correctly your intention; will bounce a lot of heat back and into the chiller.

How much heat do you expect the roof to absorb. ie heat from the sun, not the chiller.

How much heat do you expect the roof to absorb. ie heat from the sun, not the chiller.

The roof does suck in alot of heat but what I have decided to do is put a layer about 30cm above the current roof I will use cool rib which they say reflects 75% of the heat...

Think that would work?

Jeepers ...big chiller for a nano.
Air gets sucked in from the sides and gets blown out the back. If chiller sucks in warm air, efficiency is seriously compromised. I do not believe breather holes are suitable. The flow should be unfettered.
Breather holes; if i visualize correctly your intention; will bounce a lot of heat back and into the chiller.

Nano? New tank is 1480x850x700 LWH...

Surly the extractor will pull the hot air out quick quick?

Metal does retain a lot of heat. An insulating layer will help. A closed room....hmm could you perhaps lower the chiller. With your suggested pump i would say the lower the better.

I was going to suggest a second layer of roofing. It should work well. Otherwise just put a layer of polystyrene under the existing roof. Will be cheaper and easier and will probably work better.

I could lower it but that would be a huge mission and the chiller will sit right above the sump....

maybe I should leave the space behind the chiller open completly..not much rain can get in unless it is really pissing...?

Nano? New tank is 1480x850x700 LWH...

Surly the extractor will pull the hot air out quick quick?

Sorry...gap in my education. Being following your awesome nano thread. Extractor fan will solve the problem, providing you insulate the roof. Have you started a tank thread.

Sorry...gap in my education. Being following your awesome nano thread. Extractor fan will solve the problem, providing you insulate the roof. Have you started a tank thread.

like I said worst case scenario would be an extra fan:biggrin:

Will the fan next to the chiller be enough or will I need another? Should I leave the back of the chiller open as it is in the pic?

To really turn things on their head. Could you not place your sump/ refugium where the chiller is and allow gravity to return water to the tank, and place your chiller on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom