Chiller Setup Help...

To really turn things on their head. Could you not place your sump/ refugium where the chiller is and allow gravity to return water to the tank, and place your chiller on the bottom.

Um...too late for that...would be a mission to clean...top of the chiller is 2265 high...

Will leave it open with a hatch so I can cover it should there be alot of rain around...

I still think an extractor will pull the air out before it has a chance to hang around...

I could place the chiller under the sump, I just think that it would be a bit more closed in down there? ?

ive also got heat isuues with my chiller,i got a fan blowing from the side to blow away the heat the chiller extracts

I could place the chiller under the sump, I just think that it would be a bit more closed in down there? ?

Your chiller is 2.2m high. Kobus Wiese could stand under your chiller without messing with the gel. Thats plenty room.

OK you missing it...I have a stand 700 high, sump 500 high then the chiller above that... bottom of chiller is 450mm above sump so just enough space to work under...

will post a pic in the morning..

Geez someone took note of my setup. :slayer::slayer::lol::lol:

Sims I think just 1 layer of polystyrene under the existing roof would be the easiest way to do it. Then keep an eye on the temps. If not happy try the second layer of roof sheeting. No need to go straight into overkill.:lol:

If there were ever a time to do it right, it is now. I would still try and raise the refugium height. Check Hills tank thread with refugium set up. http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=300&page=4 Your chiller once installed and running needs no maintenance. However the benefits of having a raised refugium are worth noting.

No need to go straight into overkill.:lol:

:lol: dude I have already got my gardener to cut the second layer and I will put 3 layers of polysyrene under that and 1 under the steal roof and I have another extractor lying around...you think that will work?

This tank has to be 100%...no other options!

Oh dear. Too late. :lol:

I think 3 layers between the two roof sheets will be ample.

would it be better to have one layer of 75mm poly. or 3x25mm?

Last edited:
Same thing really. What ever is easier to work with.

I was going to suggest a second layer of roofing. It should work well. Otherwise just put a layer of polystyrene under the existing roof. Will be cheaper and easier and will probably work better.
Hill's plan is the one I'd go for. Your fan should be ok in that case.

guys I'm lost here...

I thought chillers were ment to keep temps stable...if my error margin on the chiller is 1 degree then if I set it to cold at 23 then it will start to cool when the temp gets to 24 and hot is set on 22 the when it drops below 21 it will heat to 22....so a difference of 3 degrees? Please tell me I'm stupid and have missed something?

chiller

Hi Guys

Just installed the chiller but not sure if it will be ok. My aim is to get as much of the hot air out the room as quickly as possible so the chiller can work at 100%.

View from outside.
chiller5.jpg

What you see is the frame, the area will be covered with wood I will drill breather holes where the chillers grill is.

Front view from inside the room...

chiller4.jpg

Please note bottom right is a hole in the wall, this is where the return will go through to the tank.

I plan on feeding the chiller via the return pump (or3500) head will be about 1m.
Please tell me should you think this will not be perfect. It's quite a tight squeeze but I only have a space of 1550x1300 to make a fish room...

Thanks for the help
Hi bra please note if the chiller gets more than 30 to 32 degs out side chiller ,it will stop working had that with my old hailea 500 chiller please read your instructions.

Back
Top Bottom