chiller questions

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by sweetnsour, 24 Jun 2010.

1. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Hey everyone

Perhaps the guys whom run chillers can help me out here , what size chiller would be need for a 1000 litre system? I'm looking into the haliea range.

Secondly how noisy are these units and perhaps someone can point out the pro.s and con.s running these units indoors?

and lastly are the units weather Resistant like normal split unit aircons ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

I would go for a HC500 or bigger, depending on the temp you want to maintain and the ambient air temp.

I have the HC500, HC250 and HC150, all are very quite.

Running out doors is the best as the hot air is then release into the atmosphere and not back into the room which would inturn heat the tank up again. Not 100% sure on their weather resistance, but should be fine as long as its under the eve of the roof where the rain can't get to it should be fine.

4. sweetnsour

sweetnsour Thread Starter

thanks man , how far away from the system can i run it , should i decide to plumb it outdoors?

5. dropzone newbee

dropzone newbee

tagging

6. lIghty

lIghty

I don't think there is any "set" limit, just remember the further you have it the more heat the piping can absort from the air temp, and if you place the chiller 1m futher, that means there is 2m of extra pipe!

Usually they are installed 2-4m from tank, but closer is better, you could also insulate the pipes using the black slip-on insulation.

7. brettb2020

brettb2020

the black stuff is called armor flex and if you put the on your pipes you wil be able to put it about 50m away.

Ive installed a split aircon where the condenser was 80m away from the evaporator and it works just fine as long as you use proper armor flex :thumbup: not the cheap stuff. the heat absorbed through armor flex is insignificant.

however, as lighty said, closer is always better.

8. sweetnsour

ok now where do i get this armor flex and how much will it cost , i would really like to get it.

9. lIghty

lIghty

yeah Brett, where can I get this side?

10. brettb2020

brettb2020

place called kovco in northdene area in durban and there 3 in the gauteng area. but if you go to any aircon company they should help out. gauche air in jacobs will help you out

11. lIghty

lIghty

Cool, do you know of you get it for 32mm and 50mm pipe?

12. brettb2020

brettb2020

any size you want man:) I have seen 50mm, havnt seen bigger though. and its pretty stretchy

13. durleo

durleo

I would go for the HC1000 - Cooling only
    I have heard disaster stories with the dual heating and cooling. My system is a 1000lt and the unit has no problem keeping it at 26degs. I used to have it indoors but as lighty said the house gets very humid and hot. If you can break the wall to the exact size as the chiller then you could place the vents to the outside and leave the chiller indoors.
    It is very easy to clean the filters too cos there is only one screw on the front grid.

here is an old pic of when i moved the chiller outdoors - i added a sump aswell that i could drain for water changes. The chiller is mounted in line with my skimmer but i am looking to plumb it into my return.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    regards
    Duran

14. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

agree with durleo
    1hp chiller is the right size to go for
    halliea is probably the most reliable brand in tems of performance and back up service in this country;)

15. sweetnsour

Thanks guys wil ldef look into this whole cooling / heating issue.

Marco what do they go for new?

16. Andreas

Andreas

I was looking at doing something similar, but you will have to rethink it if you ever decide to air condition the room.

As well as two filters on either side of the unit that just clips off.

Durleo - Looking at your chiller setup there. Will it be possible for you to move the chiller away from the back as you are restricting the hot air from from being expelled away from the chiller. The two vents on either side also need to be open to allow fresh cool air to be drawn in. It's recommended that the back of the chiller is at least 15cm away from a wall and 10cm away from the any obstruction on the side.

I've seen guys place chillers inside a closed cupboard and the unit works way way harder than needed due to this configuration and I think it's unnecessary and a waste of valuable electricity ;)

Last edited: 23 Aug 2010
Recent Posts