Chiller question

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by mnd123, 17 Nov 2009.

1. mnd123

mnd123

Hey hey,

before I make an investment in a chiller can someone clear a few things up?

1) I put my bio calcium and magnesium into the last chamber of the sump, the return pump will feed the chiller, is this an issue?
    2) What is the IDEAL temperature for a SPS/ LPS reef?

Cheers

Marc

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. SCOOBY

SCOOBY SCOOBY

1.I think that will work fine to feed from your return to the chiller.Just c that you can control the flow into the chiller.Keep the flow LOW.
    2.Ideal temps for sps and lps is(I would say) 25c to 26,5c
    That works for my sps and lps...

4. Monti

Monti

1- Should be fine
    2- An ideal temp is a consistently stable temp somewhere between 24 and around 28.

5. mnd123

mnd123 Thread Starter

Thanks Scooby, so if I put a 5000l/hr pump on my tank, I should have a seperate feed off to the chiller with a ball valve?

6. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

I have a concern with the highlighted above this can be a problem, Keep within the chillers specification's and do not go below the recommended flow rate. Reason for this is the chiller reads the temp of the water coming in and cool's after, if the water passes through to slowly it will be very cool/cold going back into the aquarium. As per temp there are a lot of options anywhere between 23 and 28 as long as it is stable the norm is 25. Most chiller's will switch at 1 degree of the set temp this fluctuation is general acceptable, also be sure to adjust your heater as the two may work against each other.

As for the additives added directly to the return chamber. These addative's should be dissolved first as they can precipitate on item's that are warm such as the return pump, heater and even the base of the sump. So the sooner they leave the filter and get to the aquarium the better.

7. Adee

Adee

Mark, I have the Haliea 1000B...they also advocate that the water entering the chiller should be prefiltered. This to advoid build up of crap within the cooling piping inside the chiller. Also if u look at what sometimes forms on your heater and water level (that chalky caking), it make occur inside there as well, especially if being fed directly from the sump that has the highest concentrations (when dosing).

Then again...I don't follow instructions. I dose in my last chamber and the chiller is also fed via my return pump.

Temp of 26 is perfect.

8. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

What volume is the aquarium and if you are having to reduce the flow so slowly then the chiller is to small for the aquarium.

The following link to aqua-medic and the same as the Hailea range
    Aqua Medic : Seawater Catalogue : Cooling units : Titan

9. mnd123

mnd123 Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback all, this will be the 1/2HP chiller, as my tank is 750l. I add Bio Magnesium and Epsom salts to the sumps last chamber and was worried about precipitate.

I will ask Adriaans advice on plumbing when he pops in to install the tank tomorrow

10. mnd123

mnd123 Thread Starter

Got some advice from Adriaan of Idol Marine today. On my new tank I have a MD70 5000l/hr return, I will T-piece this wityh a ball valve to the chiller, with the chiller returning to the sump. Alls good - thanks for all the replies folks - invaluable

11. SCOOBY

SCOOBY SCOOBY

Nice...

Recent Posts