Chiller pump advice

Mekaeel

Reaction score
Hey guys, due to the lack of air circulation where my tank currently stands, there is not enough ventalation for my chiller and therefore causing alot of heat and the chiller cant cope.
Now im planning to move my chiller into my balcony, total distance +- 11m. Number of 90 degree elbows would be +-4. The same would apply to return from chiller to sump.
So in total +- 22m and 8 elbows. No height to push,just distance.Is this possible? And what size of a pump would i require?
Oh and the chiller is a Haliea 300.

i would look at going something big that can be tapped off perhaps a 3000lt.. remember that distance travelled is sometimes worse than height because there ia a gravataional pull along the whole length of pipe..

thats my opinion...

Mekaeel, your losses will depend on the size of you pipe, the smaller the pipe the greater the friction losses, although a rule of thumb (for township water networks) is 10% minor losses (fittings) for length of pipe + friction losses, using this rule and a bit extra for friction allow for 2m-2.5m of head, if the level of the inlet and outlet are the same.

Hi Mek i did a haliea 500a with the distance of 27mts i had to use a 7500lt pump to push the water that far,by the the time the water hit the tank it was down to 500-600lts

I would use an OTP 5000...with a ball joint so you can slow it own if need be.

I would rather upgrade the chiller instead of buying one of these pumps, fittings and off course labour. How long do you think the chiller will last outside your balcony mek?The salt will chow that thing up in no time;)

hey mek i agree with leslie and mos here ,you have seen my chiller in my balcony
i used 25mm piping and a 12000lph waterfall pump.
you should mount your chilller on a bracket at a level higher than your return pipe from chiller this should help reduce backpressure on the pump.

Thanks for all the input guys. I was looking at 25mm piping. You guys think a 4000lph pump will be too small?
Moz, yes wa thinking about the same level.
So Preshan,you would say place it higher, make's sense.How high of the ground?
Andreas, I was thinking about that as well, judging by the way the aircons rust here. The outside might be perfect (plastic) but im concerned about the inside of the chiller all metal.

Difficult decision to make buddy.If you stayed more inland then I would place it outside.The only solution would be to build an enclosing but still the salt spray is hectic so close to the beach. Do you really want to replace it in a years time?

Mek...you in a flat right? don't you have a corridor outside your front door that you can put it...sure it must be a bit open and undercover?

Ok so 6 metres 1 way, total 12 metres.But level with the sump. Will a a 2500lph pump be stong enough?

What is the head (rating in meters, duty point if available would help) of the pump?

Mek...you in a flat right? don't you have a corridor outside your front door that you can put it...sure it must be a bit open and undercover?
Hey Sims yip i took a look at the corridor option, but unfortunatley there will be lots of drilling for piping involved through the kitchen (Wife wouldnt be too pleased).

Mekaeel, imo that should be perfect for your chiller.

Back
Top Bottom