Chiller plumbing re-think

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Pugsly, 1 Dec 2009.

1. Pugsly

Pugsly

Hey guys,

Been thinking (i know - sometimes I can think:lol:)
    Currently my chiller is installed running on it's own pump to supply it and have it pumping from the return chamber in the sump and returns to the sump return chamber. But as we all know that pumps do generate added heat to the water. So all this said, here is my plan and want to know what you guys think of it.

Going to add a "T" piece to my return line with a valve that will feed the chiller and then return from the chiller to the return chamber. Thus, I remove one pump from the system, and that means one less heat source?!?!?!

Does this make sense? What is your guys feelings on this?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

4. keyaam

keyaam

Some reefers actually plumb their return straight into the chiller and then to the tank

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

My chiller is supplied via a pump that sits in the corner of my tank. The return from the chiller also ends up back in my tank.... It's JUST the tank water that I want to keep cool - not my sump's water as well. Else your chiller might work to hard!

6. magman

magman

I run 3000l/h staright through the chiller as my return. Idea being that the chilled water is going into the tank, and if the temp rises, it chills the whole system.

7. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

so maybe I can still add the "T" piece from the return pump but then have it return into the display?

I don't think I should run mine directly from return through chiller into DT. my return is 4500l/h I think I may burst the chiller

8. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

quick update - added the T piece last light with a valve - seems to be working but will check tonight again. Thinking I will however get it to feed to the DT directly instead of feeding that return chamber

9. JD167

JD167

Following this thread. I'm about to install my chiller and need to look at the blumbing.

I'm just wondering though, which of the two methods(chiller plumbed via return or return chamber through chiller back to first chamber) is the best and will cause less stress on the chiller? The second method obviously requires another pump(or a t-piece on the return like Pugsly's solution)

10. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

Im installing my chiller this weekend:slayer: iv got a 1850L pump wich will be plumbed from the first chamber in the sump to the chiller and back into the first chamber....then will go through to skimmer chamber ect ect.i use a stocking on my overflow pipe comming into the sump wich is the first chamber.so most of the sheeet gets caught in the stocking and wont go through the chiller:)

11. JD167

JD167

That's why I thought of running the feeding pump from the last chamber. "Cleaner" water.

Your temp probe would obviously be in the last chamber then?

12. Moolis Moolman

Moolis Moolman Pet Stop SA Sponsor

There are more than one way to do it and most of them are correct.

I have installed a chiller in a maintenance aquarium that go up into the roof and back into the tank, yet another went via the roof from the middle of the room to a shed outside and back.

That are some of the extreme installations I can remember - installed them in summer and my "streamlined body" and roofs are not made for each other, add to this summer weather.... I nearly died:(

The point I want to make is, just ensure the flow is sufficient (not to fast and not to slow) and pump CLEAN WATER threw the chiller.

M2C

PS. do not forget to clean the air filters regularly. Chillers are expensive

13. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

i have no space in the last chamber with my return pump in there.i wanted to do it like that.my temp probe is in my DT and ill be adding another in my sump.

14. mnd123

mnd123

In discussion with Adriaan of IM, this is too much flow through the chiller magman, he reckons dont go over 1000l/hr

This is exactly what I did, I have a T-Piece off my 5500l/hr return with a ball valve where I can control the amount of water through the chiller - its also cool as I do not have such a massive ruch of water in the sump

Recent Posts