Chikaboo's 2nd marine tanks discussion thread

Hi everyone just want to know something : If I want to take water for testing at the pet shop can carry some from Newcastle down to durbs or is there a time limit once water is removed from the tank (remember our LFS dont know much about marines) so i am going to Durbs this weekend - will look into investing in a good test kit - any recommendations? Also if I can take the water how much and how should it be transported? (400km's to Durbs)

Chikaboo you can take water to the LFS transport enough in a clean container to them (plus,minus 200ml -500ml sould be fine).. Check out the sponsors as they all ship Give Lanzo from Dory Pets a call and I am sure he will fix you up with decent test kits, dont just buy any kits you see as at the end of the day you are just waisting your $$$$$... Some of the better kits would be Salifert, Tropic Marine, Seachem, Elos just my 2c on hobby grade test kits

Hi everyone noticed that my urchin went and parked himself inside the branches of one of my like dead corals for two days now! But definately alive coz switched off the internal powerheads and picked the coral up and his spines were still moving around plus his small tentacle like feelers were swaying around as if to say GO AWAY - is this natural for them to stay in one place for so long? Thanx

Mine stay in one place (inside the reef) till lights out. And they always return to the same spots

Chikaboo - I hope that you don't mind. I have modified the name of your thread to what it is now. I think that it is more appropriate.
Sorry that I have been so quiet. I have been extremely busy at work the last 2 weeks or so.... not much time on MASA....

148449930b0885700.jpg
148449930aeca2a7d.jpg
Hi jacquesb thanx for new thread name but shouldn't it be "TANKS" instead of TANK - BTW have you taken a look at my LR pics in my tank - what do you think?
148449930acebc09d.jpg

:) Hi Chikaboo..... :)
No problems man. I will do so immediately - change your thread's name.

Your live rock looks awesome, man.... needs to age a wee bit, hey? ;) (the live rock, I mean)....

Thanks Jacquesb - I'm down in Durbs this weekend need to pick up maybe about 50kg more then try my hand at aquascaping when I'm back - then I must scrounge around in the rock pools for a cleanup crew and anything else? I must also invest in a decent test kit and anything else your'll can think of as essentials? (Also where to look for the goodies)

Chikaboo - I would definitely say that you need a decent testing kit. Try Northlands Pets (they are a sponsor here on MASA).
You need to get the following test kits at least:
1) ammonia
2) nitrite
3) nitrate
4) pH
5) alkalinity

The MOST important now would be the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.....

Hhhmmm - regarding a cleanup crew - seeing that you already have fish in your tank.... should be ok to collect some hermit crabs (as many and as small as possible).... Just check your permit - I think that there is a maximum that you can collect per day)....

Ok our lfs showed me a 15000 resun wavemaker with its controller? anybody used these before and reliable or look for something else? Remember will be keeping mostly fish and LR now then maybe later venture out to corals and tank (and I) mature!

Ok our lfs showed me a 15000 resun wavemaker with its controller? anybody used these before and reliable or look for something else? Remember will be keeping mostly fish and LR now then maybe later venture out to corals and tank (and I) mature!

AWESOME power-heads Chikaboo! I have 2 of them in my tank! As well as 3 SEIO's (2 x M1100's and one M1500)..... I just LOVE them! They are AWESOME. Very good value for money!

Thanx jacquesb for comment on resun wavemaker - also told me they might have a dualhead wavemaker also resun and 12000l/hr what do your'll make of that!

Anyone else used dualhead wavemaker? I have to go to Springfield park tomorrow for some stock for my business so will definately go past Northlands for test kit and will take a look at their wavemakers/pumps - also where can i get some nice clean sea sand for my dsb? Also is there a limit to taking sea sand also read in another thread must collect and keep it moist (travelling 400kms home) so about 5 hrs with a break inbetween - what other advise can your'll give me for travelling long distance with LR / fish / clean up crew? Also didnt see much ppl talking about sea cucumbers? are they not good for our tanks?

Back
Top Bottom