Chemical warfare

dv8

Reaction score
hi, i,m new here, not so new in the reefing game, been at it for bout 5 years, i think. am still learning loads, just resently was told that the reason zoanthoids/polops are not doing well in my tank is because i have leather,s and pincusion in my tank and that there may be a chemical warfare goin on, any idee's.i like to keep things as natural as posible, and as cheep. like thats gonna hapen with marine!!

i normaly do my research on an american site, lets face it , local is lekker.

any hoo ,any sugestions are welcome, i'll ad pics asap, been looking enviously at all the pics here.

masahello
Please tell us more about your system, and pics, pics, pics!!! Enjoy your stay!

welcometomasa

Chemical warfare can be factor, but I doubt it. Zoas are probably the strongest corals around.

You may have nudibranch (seaslug) infestation. They are very small and maybe you haven't noticed them.

If you can take the coral out of the tank and inspect closely, you will see tiny worm-shape creatures.

If this is the case, a 30 second dip in RO water every other day, for a week should rid you of the pest.

Keep us updated

What type of lights and how many? I found that some polyps don't want to open without sufficient lighting.

thanks for the help guys, and for the new thread, i did have nudibranch but think is under control, i also have a manderin , who would eat them , suposedly. lighting? i have two 40w atynic marine glow tubes, two 40w boyu (cheep) tubes, and a 150w metal halide, the zoo,s are not under the halide though, flow is good, have a few power heads. should i move the zoo,s to the halide, more/less flow? supliment feading?

on that subject, where could i get my hands on a rotifer, cope pod, amphipod culture? i would like to start a culture.

more to the point, would a jebo protine skimmer be enough to remove the "chemical war" from my 2meter tank? i will add pics as soon as i can. zoo's are of my fave things to have in the tank but just don't do well at all.

basicaly, can i keep hard and soft corals in my tank?

You running a 2m tank without a skimmer ?

How are you filtering the water column ?

Can you keep Hard and Soft corals, yes and no. Most SPS dominated tanks stay away from softies not just because of chemical warfare but also because the two types of corals vary so much in husbandry needs,

had a reply for my lighting but its not here, i must have mest up somehow, i try again. two atynic 40w marine glow, two normal 40w tubes(cheepo boyu 1's) and a 150w metal halide. zoo's not under the halide

noodibranch should be eaton by my manderin, i think? if that is the case

Mandarin won't normally eat nudis as they are highly toxic.

Lighting sounds great, for softies

If all these other corals are doing well, then it ain't lighting or chemical warfare.

Something is eating this coral. What livestock do you have ?

all reef friendly fish, regil tang ,2 scunk clown, 4 normal clown, cleaner wras, 2 cleaner schrimp, coral beauty, potter anger(pigmy ), flame angelcopper band and the manderin, oh and 1 maroon clown

Some very cool fish, how did you get away with 7 clown fish in one tank

at one stage i just could not keep carpet anemone, did nothing different and now i have a gr8 carpet, and my bubble anemone has split 3 times

Just seen this, bubbles splitting can often be a sign of poor water conditions, what are your water perameters?

i dnt know, the clowns have there own space, the scunks keep to the bubble anemones, the maroon likes the pin cusion leather(no idee why) and the normal clowns cinda drift around, not too close to the scunks tho, no clowns i have seem to like the carpet tho. had some black percula befor , they liked the carpet. they died bcoz of my lack of xperiance at the time

Back
Top Bottom