Chemi Clean? Has anyone used it with success

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by Keanan, 26 Aug 2011.

1. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Has anyone used chemi Clean red slime remover with success?

Cyano is busy taking over my tank. And I was going to use chemi Clean but heard that its playing with fire. A google search says that guys had success with it but I heard otherwise. So dont want to take the chance.

Anyone with experience with this stuff? Should I use it or shouldn't I?

Also is cyano really a lack of flow? I ask because I have it growing on my 6000l sun sun's, surely it cant be a flow problem if its on the pumps? Or can it be of over feeding?

Thanks in advance.:)

Last edited: 26 Aug 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

STAY AWAY!!!!!!!

Yes it does work, but does not solve your problem.
    Month later and it is back!

It also messes your skimmer up!

Just my experience, will NEVER use it again!

Rather find the source of the problem:
    Flow
    Lighing
    Feeding

4. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

I dont think anyone truly knows the sourse of syno ?

Ive youse it in 4 of my shop coral tanks and once in a RSM 130.

As long as you airate the tank very well with a airstone for a full 2 days - it works like a bomb and its never reapeared in out tanks.

I cant say much more incase it looks like im flogging the product to you , but it worked wonders for me.
    P.S
    I also heard about the threat of tank devistation , so i treated as if my tank was 50 liters less in volume and on one occasion had to retreat after the 2nd day had passed and the slime had yellowed , but not disintigrated on its own.

5. Keanan

Keanan Thread Starter 2time

Was planning on using it to clear it now and then find the source and doing more regular water changes and feeding less. If it would of worked without messing with somethings like the skimmer, I would have tried it but I'd rather not now.

thanks

Yes you did say that you had success with it. like I mention above. I was just planning on using it to get rid of the lot and then find the cause and deal with it but you know the :censored: bad luck I have with this :censored: tank.:( So would rather not take a chance.

P.s :censored: ws came back and worse.:(

Only going the water change tomorrow, was too busy with assignments. Will try and suck up all that I can get to.

P.s again :biggrin: did you take the water home to test, forgot the remind you last night.:blush:

6. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Yip , and i for got to take it home , will bring the test kit with me to work now now and do the test.

7. gaboon

gaboon

Killed all my corals and some fish in a matter of hours a few years back. Many have used it successfully but I wont even stand near it in a petshop now. Killed the cyano though:p

8. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

HA ! so it worked ! ;)

9. Keanan

It worked to well.:eek:

I'd rather give it a skip and do it the old fashion way.

thanks

10. Keanan

Cool, let me know.

11. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi K - Alk is 7...

12. Keanan

Thanks D. just did a 100l water change now and got all the cyano out that I could, will check my alk and bring it up.

13. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

Hey keanan, sumhow cyano is doin its rounds, like a flu virus, I think its somethin in the water that ro machines cnt remove,too many peeps in capetown is suferen from it an all nw @ the same time........I wonder what it can be,like really,coz its terible man....

14. Keanan

Yeah it is, you wont believe how much I came out of my tank. I read on here that it could be seasonal, think Fransny posted a thread about it.

Btw you need to update your thread.;)

15. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@2time, updates will take place after big changes on 3rd sep.... Remove fish,redo plumbing an rescape wit added rock..... Big day

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi , doubt its the R.O , haven't had syno for about 9 months on 10 tanks and using R.O, the same as you and K use ?

17. Keanan

Thats a long wait.:whistling: You must do before and after pics;)

Doubt so too.

18. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@Perky pets superstore .... Hey David, sorry man I wasn't directing it to ur RO .... I meant in general water supply,I know some peeps who making their own RO an also havin cyano outbreaks, so I thort maybe its just Cape towns general water supply that has some contaminent in and in certain tanks its reacting with sumthing and causing cyano,cause there is a crazy lotta cape town peeps complaining bout Cyano

BTW, with a tds reading of 1.....yes 1.... Your water is the purest in the cape... Thnx :thumbup:

19. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

No man, i wasn't getting defensive on you - just saying i don't think its the R.o thing - but yes after a good backwash R.O is running nice and low from the outlet , but im sure there might be some tds readings building up from the pump/ pipe and drum we keep it in.

Im sure the other guys water just fine , we all use the same membranes, this one Marco sent me a month ago to help me out while i needed a large quantity for specials...

20. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@Perky pets superstore ..... Yeah man, sowwy, thort u thort sumtim els lol..... We cool...lol... Back to the topic, I wouldn reccommend chemi-klean,its scares me too wen I heard all the stories ...lol

21. mytank

mytank

@2time there is a product called antired I have read up about and bought some. It's got a pretty simple way of dosing. @Moolis pet store uses it and stocks it and spoke to Shaun at pet store around it as he was busy dosing it in one of his tank. One bottle for 400l. So for my 220l tank I would do: 2l bottle take tank water, mix half the bottle (50ml) then drip it into the return section of the sump. ONLY HALF the 2l bottle so 1l. Then wait for 4 to 6 hours and do the rest (each time make sure the water is shaked up nicely.

I would like to offer some advise though that I did. I went through what you going through two weeks ago and it almost made me give up.

1. I do 5 - 10% water changes every week now
    2. The flow is very important more than I like to admit (it seems to move my sand around quite a bit
    3. Get a pair of beautiful blue spot (cheek) sand sifting gobbies they are beautiful and don't dump sand onto the coral.
    4. I was feeding for about 8 fish (5 chromis, 1 clown, 1 purple tang, two sand sifters, 1 lawnmower blennie) One and half blocks of food in the morning and one and half blocks of food in the evening. Now I have changed it to: Flakes in the morning (all eat), I leave a nice piece of Noori on the window during the day (disappears during the day ;)) and in the evening 1 hour before my entire lighting sequence starts I feed on and half blocks of food. The reason for the half block is that half block is always Mysis for he purple to get some meaty food.
    5. I also skim pretty wet at the moment but do that for about 4 hours while I am home and then I turn it down.
    6. I feed my corals directly once a week either lance fish (for the bubble) or cyclo-peeze for the froggie, zoas and ric's one a week.
    7. Every Sunday I dose Special Blend and then on the Tuesday I dose Prodibia Start Up (need to finish the box that I started) - Special blend smells like sh1t!
    8. I clean my skimmer once a week.

Make sure that the food you feed is not left at the bottom of the tank, your clean up crew and the sand sifters will do a good job.

My problem admittedly is that I am the most impatient person in the world and over stocked thought my nice bubble magnus skimmer would handle it but didnt.

I can only share my experiance..... I know it sounds like a lot but, I actually enjoy doing all this keeps my mind sane and I look forward to it.

Recent Posts