Chemi Clean (boyd) - Cyno remover

Reaction score
Hi All

My LPS just call, he has received some Chemi Clean by boyd Interprises, Has anyone got and knowledge or expriance on this product?

Claims to rid the tank of Cyno, but what concerns me is that you have to use this product with airstones?

Algae & Phosphate

Thanks

if you dont rid your tank of the cause, you use this stuff to kill the cyano and it will rekindle itself over time. cyano blooms if amongst other things ,kh low, nutrients high, id rather increase waterchanges and up my kh to just over ten. ps im talking from recent experience. it is also good to put a piece of filter mat under overflow pipe in sump so that water hasto flow thru it, change this every three days.also if poss run anti phos ie phosguard etc. and then give it time to work out.

Hey lIghty

I had a cyano problem. The one LFS told me to use it. The other said that it is in actual fact a anti biotic (he also gave me some specific medical name for it) He said I could buy it from the chemist for about R30 (instead of R195 I paid for it) He then warned me that you should remember one thing of this product. It is ANTI BIOTIC - thus killing off bio organisms / bacteria. These bacteria are also found in your corals (the stuff that carries oxygen through the animal to be precise)

I thought I'd give it a try, as I don't have much to loose at this stage (tank quite new)

I added it Sunday afternoon. Yesterday the cyano was 60% gone and today I only see thin hair strings, so it's about 90% gone. It seems to work BUT...

...You need to swich off your skimmer, and any other resin based chemicals ie. Rowa Phos, Phosban etc. So this product may leave a certain element of risk to the system.

The prodcut must run 48 hours without the skimmers etc and then you need to do a massive water change. I'm doing that tomorrow. I must agree with mandarinman that it will not rid the cause - only the symptoms. So my plan was to just stop it from spreading, then I will do a 30-40% water change each week for the next few weeks. Again also running my Skimmer, Rowa Phos etc. Remember that cyano thrives in softer water, so first check if your KH is high. Soft corals can opperate in KH of up to 10ppm, so try to achieve that goal (experts please correct me if I'm wrong?) This water is too hard for Cyano to live in, and it will die.

That will be my tactics to get rid of it. If you only cure the symptoms, it will only come back again and again.

Hey lIghty

I had a cyano problem. The one LFS told me to use it. The other said that it is in actual fact a anti biotic (he also gave me some specific medical name for it) He said I could buy it from the chemist for about R30 (instead of R195 I paid for it) He then warned me that you should remember one thing of this product. It is ANTI BIOTIC - thus killing off bio organisms / bacteria. These bacteria are also found in your corals (the stuff that carries oxygen through the animal to be precise)

I thought I'd give it a try, as I don't have much to loose at this stage (tank quite new)

I added it Sunday afternoon. Yesterday the cyano was 60% gone and today I only see thin hair strings, so it's about 90% gone. It seems to work BUT...

...You need to swich off your skimmer, and any other resin based chemicals ie. Rowa Phos, Phosban etc. So this product may leave a certain element of risk to the system.

The prodcut must run 48 hours without the skimmers etc and then you need to do a massive water change. I'm doing that tomorrow. I must agree with mandarinman that it will not rid the cause - only the symptoms. So my plan was to just stop it from spreading, then I will do a 30-40% water change each week for the next few weeks. Again also running my Skimmer, Rowa Phos etc. Remember that cyano thrives in softer water, so first check if your KH is high. Soft corals can opperate in KH of up to 10ppm, so try to achieve that goal (experts please correct me if I'm wrong?) This water is too hard for Cyano to live in, and it will die.

That will be my tactics to get rid of it. If you only cure the symptoms, it will only come back again and again.

Jaco? What corals and other inverts were in the system dosed and did you notice any negative effects? Thx in advance.

HEY ROBIN,
i used it myself on a clients tank that has a huge elegance coral, a hammer, a big torch coral, elephant ears, zoos, leathers......no problems at all.....just follow the directions and make sure a 20% water change is done in 2 to 3 days

HEY ROBIN,
i used it myself on a clients tank that has a huge elegance coral, a hammer, a big torch coral, elephant ears, zoos, leathers......no problems at all.....just follow the directions and make sure a 20% water change is done in 2 to 3 days

Thx, its the sps that i`m weary of mostly.

Hi Midasblenny. I have a "sick" anemone, some shrooms and star polyps. An arrow crab, hermits, cleaner shrimp and snails. No hard corals or too exotic corals as you can see, but NONE were effected in ANY way... I used the product about three weeks ago and nothing changes in the health of any livestock. They don't close, or shrink or anything. Just stick to the directions I suppose (referring to my previous explanation that you rightfully quoted.)

I'm sure I read some where that Cyano outbreaks happen in the initial setup of a tank but will disappear with time. Wont it then be easier to just wait it out??

Yes Andreas. It is true, you can wait it out. The only problem with that, is that Cyano maight spread so much that it smothers your inverts ie. shrooms. SO before that happens I say kill it off...

Hi all,

Did not want to start a new thread on this issue.

I want to use Chemi Clean tonight on my tank.
Do I just add it to the DT or do I need to premix it with tank water in container before adding it to the DT?

Thanks
_-L-_

I have used before and just dripped it in the return chamber of the sump. Works wonders on cyano in the short term. I have a problem with cyano smothering zoa polyps and this stuff works, but sorting out the cause of cyano is obviously first prize

Follow instructions carefully and make sure not to overdose. I wont use it again.

Just a warning for this stuff. It is the main reason I haven't been on the forums for so long. I used it and it got rid of all my cyano and it hasn't returned. The thing is it killed all my shrimp (4 in 1 night) and all my sps. I'm so irritated with my tank at the moment because of the stuff. I preferred my tank with cyano.

Manic, sorry dude, I warned people about this stuff a while ago. It killed all my coral (aptaisa included), and a few fish in about 10 hours. Keen to chat to you about what happened in your case. Seems to work really well for some people though.

The first time i used it in a red sea max 130 , i didnt airate the water and had a huge loss -Ive since followedthe instructions and used it on our coral tanks and it worked well with no problems, but dont overdose, and airate the water very well with a pump and airstone , works like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom