Check your heaters.

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by RiaanP, 17 Jun 2010.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Just a warning, check your heaters.

Especially after last night, the coldest night in a number of years for Gauteng. This morning I found my tank at 16. And I have 3 * 300W heaters in the sump. :(

Well actually 2 working and one faulty. And with the temp that low, and scrubber helping more to cool things down, the 2 that do work could not keep up.

I got another 300w spare, so already replaced.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. maj

maj

this week i had the same issue,2 X 300 watt heaters and mytank stayed at 22 degrees,jumped to 23 with lights on.

SA winter is reaching extremes now

4. seank

seank

Move to Rbay Riaan. Temp outside is now at 21 degrees (cold for us), and the tank is sitting at 23 degrees, no heaters :biggrin:

5. vatso

vatso

move your heaters in to the DT!! helps alot

6. Adee

Adee

Yep, bought another two yesterday...the day before, my tank temp was hovering at around 20 in the morning.

Sean, I envy u okes....Jozi temp was below zero, on my way to work this morning. :(

7. maj

maj

damn u guys are lucky

8. seank

seank

Adee, I just hope and pray that I will have enough work here in time to come, I shudder to think what must happen to my body if ever I have to move back inland, doubt I'll make it. But, in summer our tanks are really suffering due to the extreme heat

9. JD167

JD167

Flip side of the coin, also check if they switch off when reaching their set temperature. Yesterday I found my tank sitting at 28.5.( I switched off my chiller pump since it was so cold already and would be counter productive) I removed one heater to heat my waterchange drum and last night I plugged it back in, but noticed that it stayed on. Even if I change the dial to it's lowest setting. It doesn't switch off anymore and would explain why my temp shot up so high. So check those heaters.

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I would suggest keeping a heater INSIDE the tank during these terribly cold spells - as the water flowing in the piping from the sump to the tank, cools down terribly and VERY quickly, when the ambient temp is so cold!

11. vatso

vatso

I have 2 x 300W heaters in my DT & 1 in my sump - temp is at 24%

12. lIghty

lIghty

I wonder if Chicka is having a problem, concidering I took 4x300W and 4x200W up to hom last week?

13. SIMS

SIMS

Um...too much brandey keeping you warm Sean - I was at work at 3am this morning and it was 9 degrees. My pool outside is 13 degrees and I have no heaters. Lucky there is no livestock yet :p

14. chikaboo

chikaboo

I have found what also is helping is my MH coming on 1 hour earlier and going off 1 hour later ... plays havoc with algae growth but as it is I got plantations so what the hell ....

No problems my side bud ... remember I got my old heaters also running and the aircon keeping the room temp stable and warm..... Thanx once again....... Now how about posting some of my pics for me .....

15. Garethmur

Garethmur

I got 2 300W, one in sump and 1 in dt, temp flux between 24 and 26, and its damn icy in springs... (tanks is only about 350L tho)

16. seank

seank

Outside means outside of the tank- tere's no ways I am putting my body outside of this house- I've never liked the cold. And no more alcohol, I am a changed man, been so for long time.
    With temps you are mentioning, it is definitely going to keep me inside today- Just started raining here too [​IMG]

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Yes, this is just what I need 2 days before I leave. I'm off to Copenhagen, to their sunny summer. Ariving Sunday with a expected weather forecast for a nice full sun day with maximum temp at 16. :eek:
    What, same as here....

Forecasted for Pretoria on Sunday is 17.

I think I should tell my boss I'm staying....

18. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

We were -3 last night and -2 ; 10 the previous day. My temp is at 24.6deg on my 600litre setup. I'm using 2 x 300w heaters set at 26deg and heaters are in the sump :)

19. mandarin

mandarin

I've also got 3 x 300w heaters in the sump, temp stays between 23.4 and 25.2 but one thing that i'm worried about if the room temp drops to piss cold what is the chances of the glass cracking, i have sleepless nights. Remember this is my first winter and i'm very scary. Any comments.

20. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

The tank will only crack on a very sudden change in temperature. Been keeping tanks for many years and never had this issue. There are even people like RiaanP where the tank is under the lapa and no issues. So dont stress.

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Yip, my tank is in the Lapa, but it is enclosed, but open gaps between windows and grass. So it is colder in there than the house. So I can not get a draught on it. That might be a problem having cold wind suddenly blowing through the house, front and back door standing open, and you drop the overall house temp in a short period.

Yes Tobes, 2 * 300W should be ok, but I think the scrubber is cooling more than 2 heaters can keep up with. So I have to go with 3. (Maybe 4 tonight)

Recent Posts