Cheato "Farm"

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hennie, it might be entirely lost my mind here (Most people would not argue with that statement any day:lol:)

Just seeing how many people need cheato, I thought what about taking a Plastic storage container, putting in some sand, stand it outside where it receives sunlight maybe one small powerhead or airstone and putting some Cheato in.

Maybe top it up once a week or so, minimal maintenance.

How would I get enough nitrates and phosphates to let it grow quick?
I thought normal tapwater could do? (Higher TDS)

Could this work?

moz

Chromis
Reaction score
Maybe normal plant fertilizer could work? Chicken manure?

Steve Warren

Chromis
Reaction score
I think Calvin puts containers of seawater under trees to grow green water and goggas, the idea should also work for chaeto, nutrients from birdshit and leaves, etc.
It grows so easily in sumps why bother with the excess detritus and possibility of unwanted additions, I have if someone in PE wants.
I would prefer to use the coke with rum, possibly filtering excess colourants out of the mixture before using it on the chaeto (after all we can't have black chaeto, it just wouldn't look right) in the outside container.

Reef Maniac

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Just seeing how many people need cheato, I thought what about taking a Plastic storage container, putting in some sand, stand it outside where it receives sunlight maybe one small powerhead or airstone and putting some Cheato in.
Yes, I'm sure it would work.

The chaeto would need some water movement, so the idea of using a power head is good, IMHO.

Maybe top it up once a week or so, minimal maintenance.
Not too sure about that - my guess is that it would also be sensitive to changes in salinity, so one would have to top up quite regularly.

How would I get enough nitrates and phosphates to let it grow quick?
I thought normal tapwater could do? (Higher TDS)
Feed it a small amount of skimmate ?

Try it, and let us know what happens.

Hennie

Hill

Cardinal
Reaction score
Why not just feed it recycled Peroni. I'll show you how at the next braai. :lol:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sharktail Wanted 7
D Livestock For Sale/Swap 5
L Wanted 1
Corne Wanted 3
Elia Theocharis Wanted 6