cheating a cycle

Reaction score
If I want to reduce the cycle time on a new tank, would it work if I use rock from a running tank, and use sand from that DSB and even substrate. I have loads of LR in the sump of my existing set up, an d was hoping to basically start it up with left overs from the current tank.

If I want to reduce the cycle time on a new tank, would it work if I use rock from a running tank, and use sand from that DSB and even substrate. I have loads of LR in the sump of my existing set up, an d was hoping to basically start it up with left overs from the current tank.

Magman,

Yes, you would be able to reduce the cycle time by using matured LR and even seeding your substrate with live sand from a mature setup.

I did that. It works. But I used my old sump and DSB.
It is almost like a tank move.

Best is if you can connect temporary for 2-3 months the two sumps. So that live from first DSB help to filter new tank while new DSB is maturing.

Easiest to do it is to use only one skimmer. And then from return first sump to inlet new sump put 1 or 2 pipes to syphon water over. To ensure syphon do not break you can put a small powerhead with a venturi connected with a 6mm black fexible tubing (irrigation pipe) to suck air out of 50mm highest point. It works.

No need to balance pumps, and do not do that, you will flood.

Also think about it, the LR is live. If you cycle the tank, what will the critters in the LR eat? So they will die, causing a cycle? Or you have to feed flakes to an empty tank?

I can't interconnect, they will be about 10ks apart and the piping will be to expensive and cars driving over it the whole time will damage it. I want to build an office tank and will take out lots of LR from my exixting sump. I take it that it will probably cycle for a week or two.

Yip it will work. Get your hands on a decent bacteria strain, eg. MB7 to help boost the cycle.
NEWBIES, PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS. Sorry caps lock was on :p

That is a lot of pipe...:(

Anyway remember to feed the empty tank some flakes. So that the worms and copepods in the LR have something to eat. But not too much. Just switch the lights off, and feed, they will come out. Fascinating to watch.

I also used "old water" & sand from my 1,5 mtr display when I moved my LS to the new display.

It helps but is not a cure, you will have some degree of die off and probably a mini cycle. I would suggest adding some bacteria to assist in the process

In my opinion the best would be to start up the new tank with substrate from the old tank & fill with water while doing WC. Just add a pump for circulation & air pump to keep O2 levels up. You can then gradually increase the amount of LR, substrate etc from the old tank without running the risk of crashing eother completely
Let this still run for at least 2 weeks before moving LS.

That is a lot of pipe...:(

Anyway remember to feed the empty tank some flakes. So that the worms and copepods in the LR have something to eat. But not too much. Just switch the lights off, and feed, they will come out. Fascinating to watch.

The pods in my tank have gone extra wild this last week, all the lights go off and one blue stays on for 30 mins extra, just so the fish don't swim into the nemmies when looking for a place to sleep. While the blue was on, the fish went into a frenzy, I actually jumped up and ran to the tank to see what the problem was, and they were feeding crazy on pods. I think is what has helped is constanly changing live rock locally.

Yip it will work. Get your hands on a decent bacteria strain, eg. MB7 to help boost the cycle.
NEWBIES, PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS. Sorry caps lock was on :p

Meks, did I not say to you yesterday that I was enough and needed time for fishing, and the next day I am already getting into another tank, this hobby is worse than drugs. I need to go for some reef rehab.

this hobby is worse than drugs. I need to go for some reef rehab.

dude i know were you are coming from when i first started it was cool and then had system crash and packed up completely
then not even 3 years ago got small tank and started again and now on 5 th upgrade since started it is worse than a drug once you start you deffs cant stop
so dont feel loney we are all in the same boat just enjoy it:thumbup:

Meks, did I not say to you yesterday that I was enough and needed time for fishing, and the next day I am already getting into another tank, this hobby is worse than drugs. I need to go for some reef rehab.

Sorry bro, rehab dont help here. When they give you a glass of water in rehab, you will ask them to put salt in it :p

If I take mature LR and put it in a tank with 100% new water (same parameters as existing tank), what kind of cycle can I expect ?

If I take mature LR and put it in a tank with 100% new water (same parameters as existing tank), what kind of cycle can I expect ?

Warr, I added about 20kg of LR from my main DT to my tank, as well as sand from my existing DSB, 100% new water, and I am still in the cycle after 6 weeks.

May be that I did not add ENOUGH LR, but even after adding a food source, and hitting the tank with MB7 a few times, I still have NO2=0.2ppm and NO3=5ppm

Cheating cycle=HKGK in my humblest of humblest

When I bought a new nano I moved over all my liverock from the first one, used some matured water and put all my stock straight in. I seeded the new aragonite with some of the old - did not get a cycle at all in the new nano

IMHO it's not the LR or new water that will cause the cycle - it's the bio-load that you put in afterwards. In other words, if you just use old, mature LR (which was not exposed to air for more than a few minutes...) with new salt water, you will probably not have ammonia or nitrite spikes - however, once you then add some fish or corals, you could have a spike IF the amount of filtration bacteria in the LR is less than needed for the new bio-load. If you ramped up the bio-load slowly, adding only one smallish fish to the tank every 2-3 weeks, the bacteria will increase at a fast enough rate that there should not be any spike.

Hennie

IMHO it's not the LR or new water that will cause the cycle - it's the bio-load that you put in afterwards. In other words, if you just use old, mature LR (which was not exposed to air for more than a few minutes...) with new salt water, you will probably not have ammonia or nitrite spikes - however, once you then add some fish or corals, you could have a spike IF the amount of filtration bacteria in the LR is less than needed for the new bio-load. If you ramped up the bio-load slowly, adding only one smallish fish to the tank every 2-3 weeks, the bacteria will increase at a fast enough rate that there should not be any spike.

Hennie

Agreed with Hennie! I think my nano didn't cycle as there was enough liverock for a small bioload.

Hennie

Would corals effect the bioload ?

If one was to double ones tanks size for example & move everything across would that not just be like a 50% water change?

If one was to double ones tanks size for example & move everything across would that not just be like a 50% water change?

Yeah, but i would rather start with new water, as when you move the LR, you are going make the existing water horrible, so it would be like a 100% WC ;)

Back
Top Bottom