Cheap MH fittings

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Mtroboer, 15 Aug 2008.

1. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Hi Guys, Iwant to add 2x 150w MH's to my 1200x 500x 500 tank. I can get the following 150w fittings for R465 incl. each. Will they work, and if, which one would the best job? My feeling would be to go for the first one.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Btw. Eurolux makes them and they take Rx7s bulbs.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2008
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

I think both would work. Other guys have definitely used those on tanks in the past. I'd probably go with the one on the left.

4. AndrévN

AndrévN

150 w mh

Hi there,

Buy the left hand one, it is first of all rated ip65 ie splash proof. Secondly it has a external transformer and therefore the globe will last longer because there is less heat in the light fitting compartment. Eurolux is a excellent quality import and you wont be sorry. The price is not bad as a 400w unit like the one above we sell for R700 excl vat

viper357 likes this.
  5. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Thanks Guys, I want to upgrade but will def go the DIY way otherwise my gf would just kill me! Max it seems to me like you're the expert on these, how would lightspread be with the bulbs not sitting in the middle of the reflector plate?

6. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

You do get other types, the ones that fit into ceilings. Seems to work ok.

7. AndrévN

AndrévN

Have a look and see, it is the way the reflector is bent. These lights are used for security purposes and therefore the angle towards the front. If it mounted facing halfway down it will emit light close and relatively far. So if i where you ill mount them facing each other horizontally with the transformer enclosures facing outwards, this way you will get the most light to the centre of the tank overlapping. You wont loose any of the light at the bottom of the fitting as you install it facing horisontal :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: GROW REEF GROW

8. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

The ones I use are a type of drop light that you can also tilt.

9. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

I use the first one, yes it is not as good as some of the other brand names, but you are getting more than wha you paid for in Quality. I love this unit works real well!

10. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Max - eurolux is alot of things... good quality is not a word i would use :p

11. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

How many units have you used personally, Henk?

12. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

Have you looked for Spazzio fittings. They do a polycarbonate type material IP66 150W fitting.

13. cybervic

cybervic

What is your opinion on the Radiant products? Thats is what I've been using the last 4 years

14. cybervic

cybervic

NISO PBT 2

15. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

i have used MANY eurolux bulbs and fittings... not one good thing to say about them. their "water proof" light units leak, their day night CF globes dont work etc etc etc...

Go with the radiant one

16. Warr7207

Warr7207

Only thing I am concerned about here:

"Technical Characteristics
    Coastal Quality
    Flammable
    IP 66
    Class II"

Source: NISO PBT 2

17. AndrévN

AndrévN

You buy a new mercedes and 1 out of 10000 you get a dud ?:whistling: And you still have to pay for it, nothing wrong with the quality, if you buy the cheaper stuff, you can expect the not so superior quality. So yes they do have cheaper and more expensive stuff, just like pep stores and edgars. The same with eurolux. Do a test, buy a lohuis and a eurolux globe install them in the same conditions and see which one lasts longer, and i have proven this many times. Ask sun international they own a couple of thousand rooms that uses bulbs?:slayer:

18. AndrévN

AndrévN

No problem with radiant fittings, they are good as well. A lot of the stuff imported for radiant and eurolux are made by the same company, just a different sticker. As i said you do get cheaper and more expensive units by both the companies. :thumbup:

19. AndrévN

AndrévN

Spazzio, excellent. But just like mercedes you pay for the name. Eurolux, Radiant, GEC, etc. they all have polycarbonate fittings. In this country you get locally made stuff by genlux lighting, and all the transformers (switchgear) made by one company, and the polycarbonate fittings by another the reflectors by another.

20. AndrévN

AndrévN

Very good quality, but they have different catogories, " and " price tags. You pay for what you get, if you buy cheap you get cheap. I dont buy globes if they dont say eurolux. My opinion. :whistling:

21. AndrévN

AndrévN

Flammable or do you mean, use in explosive areas. Then it would be marked by " Exe " prefix to specify for intrinsically safe areas or explosive areas. Coastal quality would be something that is made of polycarbonate, but the poly would also be perished over a period by the heat of the globe or used external by wind rain, water sunlight and they perish. Nothing is coastal quality. You buy proper aluminium windows and doors at the coast and they rust. You install stainless and it rusts. Nothing is salt safe that ive seen. I stayed on the beach and believe me, never ever again, not even the roof tiles survives the salt. Metal halides and HQI globes has extensive heat they produce by the fact that they produce high quality light something close to sunlight.

Recent Posts