Cheap DIY chiller idea

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by gavster, 26 Oct 2011.

1. gavster

gavster

No this isn't a new idea at all, but I thought that I'd share this with all of you. I found this little fridge and what I think sets it apart is the fact that it also runs off of battery power. Meaning that if you had a battery powered pump, then you could effectively also keep your tank cool if there was no electricity for a while. I'm sure that the electrical geniuses will be able to shed some more light on anything I'm missing.

Other Travel - Desk Fridge for sale in Cape Town (ID:46941533)

Essentially the idea is to have the following:

-Bar fridge
    -long plastic pipe
    -pump
    -thermostat (if you're not at home to keep an eye on things)

You would place the pump with thermostat switch, in your sump, attached to one end of the pipe. You would drill an entrance hole in the side of the fridge for the pipe to go into and create many coils in the fridge with the pipe and drill another hole for the pipe to exit back out, into your sump. Simple as that. Hope you like the idea.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Tried, tested and not really effective at all. Effeciency improved slightly by having bucket of water in fridge through which you run your coil, but still not really effective, athough......
    The 2-3 degree difference and saving over buying a chiller could mean the difference between life and death, both in terms of your livestock and that of your marriage...

4. gavster

gavster Thread Starter

Thanks for you input :thumbup: this was aimed more at the guys who can't afford the extra money for a chiller. I was thinking along the lines of the something's better than nothing concept. As well as for anyone who needs a cooling idea should they not have any electricity and urgently need to keep temps down even if its just by 3 degrees :thumbup:

5. irie ivan

Thats what I was trying to say. Big Fan on sump works wonders too. Combine the two and your down to a steady 4 degrees max.

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

PC fans works wonders as you will see in all the other evaporative cooler threads going on. And they can work off of DC as well :whistling:.

4 PC fans on my 600L system keeps it at a steady 25 for the last 2 days. Was 29 3 days ago.

7. rakabos

rakabos

We hit 37C in wilgeheuwel on Monday. My tank was running at no higher than 27.5. Got 2x 220v 130mm fans on the sump. Sounds like a 747 getting ready for take off but it works

8. irie ivan

And it increases evaporation rate, which allows addition of more Kalkwasser for Ca replenishment.

Recent Posts