Cheap Ca additives

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by lanzo, 22 Feb 2008.

1. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

hey hey
    I would like to know if i can get something cheaper to boost my ca levels in my tank.
    I read some stuff about bakingpowder for something and vodka for something else???

Can someone please help me to understand this stuff better and a easy proses to add these things to my tank.

thanks guys.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Vodka got nothing to do with Calcium but Carbon, stay way from it, Dark Art

Baking Soda is used for Alkanity.

Calcium - you use calcium chloride and calcium hydroxide

Check this thread out for info

Chemical equivalents - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

4. lanzo

lanzo Thread Starter Sponsor

wHere must i start, i use a ph and alkanity buffer and red sea Ca addatives.

Can you maybe explain to me a easy "manier" to start with these new additaves?
    Somthing simple?
    It sounds to me that this can be very very tricky stuff?
    Where must i start?

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

I am just starting on the "cheaper" Alternatives, so I can't give much advice. But what I seen, the recipes on Chemical equivalents - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    are really easy to follow and I have already started using Alan's Bicarb and Washing soda recipe.

Word of caution: You need to work out the correct amounts for your own tank. All tanks are different in volume and Calcium usage. Also any additions must be done slowly.

6. lanzo

lanzo Thread Starter Sponsor

thanks man, ill try and understand this stuff

7. SIMS

SIMS

Lanzo I'm no pro but IMO these home made additives are best for those that have been in the game a bit. Us beginers don't know our own tanks well enough to see if we doing it wrong. I use seachem and although it's a bit pricey they last quite a lond time...you also get the cheaper one made in SA from misisblenny (Robin) and palmerec (Clinton) I have a few of both and never had any problems...JMO HTH

8. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

If this is so, what difference does it make whether you sue an aquarium product, or a DIY chemical. Why would adding a teaspoon of "xyz buffer" be safer than adding a teaspoon of "koeksoda"?

I would strongly advise that when one start ANY addition which one is not familiar with, one should start very slowly, and perhaps only add 20% of the recommended dose - then increase the dose over time - remember patience is essential in this hobby :)

Hennie

9. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I fully agree with Hennie here. When you buy the commercially available products and they give you the dosages, view it as a guide only. These folk don't know your system and you will have to do constant measurements to find out the exact requirements of your system, just like you do with the DIY additives.

Recent Posts