chas84's Boyu TL-550

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by chas84, 14 Sep 2010.

1. chas84

chas84

Well well I'm finally starting my very own thread about my Nano. I bought the system about three weeks ago, but it has been running since April 2010.

Some information about the setup:

HARDWARE:

• Tank & Stand - Boyu TL-550
    • Lighting - (Stock Lighting) PL24W x 2
    • Filtration - Using the standard filter materials. Have added filter wool to the first chamber.
    • Circulation - Seio M820 (3400lph)
    • Heater - Standard Boyu heater, but it short circuits and has been off since I got the tank. Water temp stays at 25.5'C - 26'C (Probably the Seio)
    • UV Light
    • Protein skimmer

UPRGRADES ON WISHLIST:

1. Add a sump/refugium under the tank. To increase water volume and improve filtration.
    2. Lighting - Not so sure if I need to change this right now. I'll probably change my 4ft FW to a mixed reef setup within a few months, knowing myself :thumbup:
    3. Filtration - Would like to replace all the standard filter stuff with more efficient materials or LR rubble - still need to get some good advice on this.

LIVESTOCK:
    2 x Blue/Green Chromis
    1 x Fire Goby
    1 x Cleaner Shrimp
    2 x Turbo Snails
    2 x Hermit Crabs (Left Handed Hermits, I think)
    1 x "Bali" Pincushion Urchin
    In/On LR: Amphipods, Bristleworm, Unidentified small crab, Spagetti/Hair worm, tube/fan worms and possibly much more!

I still need a few nice pieces of LR and would like to eventually start keeping a few "beginners" corals.

MAIN PROBLEMS TO DATE:

1. GHA - It does become a nuisance, but I'm sure it will go away in time as the system matures. For now I manually remove clumps of it every week or so. The recent addition of the Hermits has really helped - you can clearly see little patches they've cleaned.
    2. Nitrites & Nitrates - These were too high for the first two weeks or so that I had the tank. Nitrites are down to 0 and Nitrates are at 20. Hopefully a few more water changes will sort this one out.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Sep 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Hey chas welcome to the forum, GHA won't just dissapoear dude you will need to starve it and or do other thing to remove it.

Secondly I'm not sure about drilling acrylic but you gonna have a mission on your hands there I suggent keep up with the water changes and resist buying more livstock for a while until the tank matures more.

Perhaps of of the nano guys or more clued up can help out with some great advise.

Looking good thus far man.

4. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

Hi sweetnsour, thanks for the comments man! What I meant by the GHA going away over time, is that as things progress, routines improve (ie less feeding/less OVERfeeding/getting into routine wrt water changes/etc) hehe I wish it could just dissappear, lol would be nice...

I'll hopefully get load of info and tip from fellow Boyu'ers on here.

5. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Purigen and seachem seagel would be an a great addition to put in the rear compartment. Also have a search on the forum regarding the upgrade for the lighting where an extra pl globe is added also you can add the pc fans to the front of the hood for some extra cooling and to keep temps stable

6. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

Thanks man. However, I'd like to get to the source of the problem and see if I can improve on that. For now I'm following a few basic rules - Don't overfeed - Don't overstock - Regular water changes. From what I've read GHA can be part of "cycling". Although I was under the impression the tank must have already been "cycled" (seeing as it was running since April), reading up on things like disturbing the substrate that can release nitrites (or is that nitrates, not sure), and cutting doen the feeding to only once a day (reducing waste, reducing nutrients) as well as recently adding my CuC, I'm sure I'll overcome the GHA problem. In the last week I've already noticed a n improvement, albeit slight.

I consider the nano my "practice and learn" setup. I'd like to set up my 4ft, add a sump, decent equipment, etc. once I've learnt more and gotten into the "swing" of things. Would then like to keep seahorses and maybe mandarins in my current tank (by that time it will also be very well established.)

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Nice start. Remember to change your filter floss weekly otherwise detritus builds up in the floss and could result in your Nitrate levels increasing.

8. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

Thanks Viper. I replace it weekly, sometime twice a week if it starts getting dirty. I was wondering about "vacuuming" the substrate. I read somewhere that substrate should be disturbed as little as possible otherwise nitrates could be released into the water. I have some spots of GHA on the substrate, which I gently "rake up" with my fingers when I do water changes. Any comments on disturbing and/or vacuuming the substrate?

9. brandonb

brandonb

Is this tank still running ?

if yes is there an update?

Brandon

10. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

Yip, it's still running. But, I'm busy making this a frag tank and have started the livestock to my large tank. I built some nice frag racks this week - will hopefully get to finalising the move this weekend.

11. brandonb

brandonb

C00L .. what frags you gonna put in there?

12. chas84

chas84 Thread Starter

Was thinking Zoa's, Kenya Trees and leathers (pincushions, toadstools and fingers). Would like to let the hobby "fund" itself as far as possible. I'd keep the "mother colonies" in my 6ft display tank, and as I frag I'll let then grow out in the TL550.

13. brandonb

brandonb

I thought of doing this for the same reason.. but I want to do the light mod first and I sold my chiller, for the nano...so I am still deciding on whether I should continue..

Cool cant wait to buy some lol

Last edited: 3 Dec 2010
Recent Posts