Charl's TL 550

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Charl_Stanhope, 12 May 2011.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Hey guys.

Ive been on this thread for a long time and havent had the guts to put my setup on the forum since all you guys have such amazing setups. Thanks for all the advice given and after a while I decided to open my tanks thread.(illl tell you the whole story,sorry its so long)

Ive got a Boyu TL550 which has been running for about 15 months or so. I got given bad advice so started adding live stock after like 3 weeks. a keyhole angel and a damsel. After another few weeks my lfs told me I can add some clowns and sold me 8 and a tomato clown. Hows that.?I know its my own fault as I trusted the lfs and didnt read up on anything.Learned some hard lessons. I realised soon enough and gave away all my live stock except 2 clowns,which I still have. But the damaged was done. I struggled with algae and just had an ugly tank for like 6 months. Almost gave up.

Eventually I discovered this forum and things started changing for the better.

I changed my filtration to the following : 1st chamber : filter floss(i change every 3 days), chamber 2 : skimmer and heater, chamber 3, phosguard, purigen and once a month for a week or so activated carbon. In the last chamber my return pump and uv sterilizer. Im runniong the standard boyu lights(im gonna upgrade by adding another tube of lights,very soon)

Ive got +- 18 kg of live rock(my lfs ripped me off and sold me kenyan live rock for R220 per kilo with my tank) and like 3 kgs of base rock. My substrate is beach sand. Ive got a sun sun 1400 l flow and a seio 1000 l flow pump for flow.

My current live stock : 2 percula clowns, 1 dotty back , 6 starfish,turbo snails , 2 other snails.

After 12 months only started adding corals as I didnt feel my water was good enough even tho the parametres were. I still had algae. But all my corals are doing very well.

Here is a list of them : Ill post some pics and maybe you guys can give them the correct names : Feather Duster
    Green star polyps
    mushroom corals
    Finger Leather Coral
    Bright green mushrooms
    Green Candy Cane Coral(it has doubled in size in a weeks time)

Ill be adding more coral tomorrow. and some cleaner shrimp.

Hope this is o.k

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

4. Charl_Stanhope

Front view of tank just after adding gsp , and my feather duster worm. water also a bit murky but its 100% now and almost all bad algae gone that you can see in these pics.

[​IMG]

Feather duster worm

[​IMG]

small green mushroom colony

[​IMG]

green torch corals(they not bleached,the sun just caught my camera,they have doubled in size in a weeks time)
    [​IMG]

finger leather coral + torch coral

[​IMG]

Like a purple blue mushroom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry the pics are so terrible but i will take some better pics and upload them soon. after adding new coral tomorrow. maybe some mice zoas or so.

Last edited: 12 May 2011
  5. Charl_Stanhope

6. Charl_Stanhope

tank update. Added a torch coral,cleaner shrimp and gave dotty away. It tried to chow my cleaner shrimp.

starfish,local but quite big. I like the colours

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 May 2011
  7. Charl_Stanhope

a full tank shot. i know its crap photos. Will hopefully get a better camera soon.[​IMG]

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Looking good there dude!

9. FransSny

FransSny

Looking a lot better Charl....the corals add a lot to the tank.

I only got your SMS today BTW...let me know when you available again and I will pop over.

10. Tremayn

Tremayn

That torch looks awesome :)

11. Charl_Stanhope

Thanks Frans.I must say its looking alot better with coral. Still need to add some more but im taking it slow. Im home tomorrow during the day, just give me a shout.

12. Charl_Stanhope

Thats my favourite in the tank. Its doing great and growing like nuts. Luckily my clowns dont like it. they prefer the pipe that lets water back into tank. :lol::lol: dont know why.

13. Ugen

Ugen

Good set up you got going.Like the Torch as well,By the way how often do you do water changes?

14. Charl_Stanhope

Thank you. I only started adding coral like 2/3 months ago so its getting there. I stay in Hermanus,so im very lucky and can get very very clean nsw so I do 2, 20litre water changes per week.(mondays and fridays)

15. blackknight08

blackknight08

update?

Recent Posts