CharlieB's Setup

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by CharlieB, 13 Jul 2013.

1. CharlieB

CharlieB

Hello again.

As I mentioned in my intro this is my first ever marine tank. Have been reading up lots and am still reading up even more. The tank is 110l including the built in filter at the back. I have about 3kgs of live rock and another 3kgs of base rock and used 4kgs of aragonite. I am currently dosing with stability and the tank has been running since Wednesday.

My plan with this tank is to start off slow and start off with easy to keep fish etc. Keep it nice and simple. Once I have a decent idea of how to keep and maintain a marine tank and have experience I will look into starting to keep corals.

Sorry not much to look at in the pic seeing as its all so new haha but will post a pic of the filtration and tank plus stand tonight.

20130711_053502.jpg

Last edited: 13 Jul 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dian6430

Dian6430

Looking nice man. Just started up my own small nano tank. Also going to take it slow and simple. Will be following your tank's progress. Good luck and welcome :thumbup:

4. RynoParsons

RynoParsons

nice. also just started my 1st tank 2 days ago also a nano.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Welcome to this hobby
    What are you doing for filtration?

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

Doesnt matter on size or how much stuff. It is just as exciting! Enjoy and hope we can be part of your success

7. devesh.r

devesh.r

Welcome and enjoy, it's awesome stuff.

8. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcomes everyone! My tank has a built in filter at the back so I am currently using course filter foam, ceramic rings, carbon and a Jad wg-308 Protein skimmer( exact same as a Boyu wg-308 it seems). Will be improving the filtration soon and any suggestions would be great! I am dosing Seachem Stability and a bit of Seachem Stress Gaurd for the fish I just put in. I am lucky enough to live very close to the sea and away from a major city so just put in three fish I caught from the rock pools. They not suitable for a nano in the long run so I will be returning them to their real home soon enough.

Tank is obviously very new so watching everything closely. Ammonia was only just detectible this morning so did a water change and nitrites are currently 0ppm. temp is 26c and salinity is 1.025. Still ordering test kits for the rest of the parameters.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2013
  9. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

hi and welcome

you shouldnt worry to much about parameters in your tank while the cycle is in progress just leave it alone for a few weeks till ammonia and nitrite and nitrates are almost zero then you can do a water change or else you will disturb the cycle

10. 2balive

2balive

What is the dimensions of the tank?

11. 2balive

2balive

12. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

Thank you.

48cm wide
    50cm deep ( including built in filter)
    46cm high

13. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

Hi all, sorry for the noob question but I really need help with my protein skimmer please or more the height it should be at.

I have tried reading up and searching but I just cant find the answer. I understand their purpose but what im not sure of is where the water level should be on the protein skimmer? With water evaporating do I need to adjust it every day or will the water just make more foam when it gets dirty until it is high enough to spill in the cup and then settle down again?

Not sure if I am explaining myself correctly but I hope you know what im getting at. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Here is a pic out of interest.

20130718_181622.jpg

14. Trasique

Trasique tahir

Not sure of nano tanks, but the skimmer is usually in a chamber with a consistent water height so evaporation doesn't affect it.

Also this tank seems to be newish - has the skimmer broken in yet? New skimmers has a settling period before they start performing optimally, this period is referred to as the breaking in period. It can be anything from a day to a week.

15. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

That makes sense thank you sadly it wont fit in the first chamber where the water level is constant. Has been running for a week tonight.

16. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Put the skimmer in a chamber where the water level stays constant.

Raise the skimmer cup to max height and close the air valve completely. From there I will give it a full turn or two and leave it for 20 minutes to see how high the "bubbles" go up in your skimmers neck. Turn the valve half a turn every 20 minutes untill you get the water level to the desired height.Ideally you want the bubbles to be a third to halfway up the skimmers neck . Hope that makes sense.

This is a time consuming way but I found this the easiest way to get this skimmer to perform at its best.

17. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

Your a champion! Thank you so much :)

18. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

Just a quick update, added some Kenya trees a while ago. Can't get them to stand up prop yet tho.. Argh and then added some macro algae this morn which I'm still not sure is a good idea or not. So many different points of view but makes the tank look better till I can afford more coral. Also rearranged the rock.

[​IMG]

The shells in the front are for my hermit crab and not for look.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2013
    Ashh likes this.
  19. mornewil

mornewil Morne

Nice looking tank. I would remove the macro algae. Not cool for display tank, unless you wanna do a planted look.

Ashh likes this.
  20. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

Just a quick update. Removed the macro algae and thankfully I did as it started rotting and stunk out my qt tank I had setup! Got my first corals from @Aquaria-SA (thanks Lawrence!) really excited about them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And then my first star polyp starting to show
    [​IMG]
    Also got 2 of these beauties from Lawrence as well
    [​IMG]

Looking forward to learning more then getting some more advanced corals. Just hope I can keep these corals alive.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  21. Dian6430

Dian6430

Tank is coming together nicely. Like the photos of the new additions. Mind sharing a list of what you added?

Recent Posts