Chaotic water movement

I cant believe that anemones just chills throughout that madness!!

Yup, it does seem rather extreme :biggrin:, but as I said earlier, it actually chose THAT spot... It's foot is anchored about two rocks down, and at night it virtually disappears back into the rock, to the great frustration of the clown, who then also has to squeeze in amongst the rocks - first light it's back out again, enjoying the flow :slayer:

Hennie

Looks good Hennie!

hows does the euphyllia enjoy the current? the reason I ask is because mine seem to only enjoy a very soft flow.

Hennie, what is your take on this type of flow, vs. a wave box type flow with no alternating pumps for random flow?

Lets say you have only a Tunze wavebox in a tank, with no other powerheads, would that be good, better or bad vs. your type of chaotic surge?

Oops...

Sorry guys, I have just noticed that I have not answered lIghty and Jaco's questions posted more than a month ago - apologies for that ;)

hows does the euphyllia enjoy the current? the reason I ask is because mine seem to only enjoy a very soft flow

Dare I say that the results speak for themselves... As you can see from the video, the Leather is pretty large, and if it did not like the flow it would have closed up and not grown so well during the past few years. If I may suggest, give yours at least a week to acclimatise to the higher flow if you try that again, I'm pretty sure that it will quickly adapt to the stronger flow.

(obviously, DON'T direct any pump straight at the leather - you only want indirect flow to touch any coral).

Hennie, what is your take on this type of flow, vs. a wave box type flow with no alternating pumps for random flow?

I am obviously biased towards the chaotic flow, that's why I designed the system as it is. I think that a Tunze wavebox, or even a standard old dump bucket type wave-maker, would be greatly improved if one added a few other water movement points to the system. These could be from a CLS, from a sump-return manifold, or just a few power heads - anything to create flow against or at an angle to the "surge".

Hennie

Hennie

I have missed this one - some awesome flow there.
I have always been afraid of to much flow, but it seems unlikely - even If I think at scuba -it can get pretty ruff down there :p

Tnx for vids, and good info.

Niel

Back
Top Bottom